Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KG is not going to cost Marion, Barbosa and Atlantas pick, that is ridiculous and Phoenix wouldn't even consider it.

KG is 31 years old, makes over 20M$, will only accept to be traded to a contender most likely and is probably unhappy as well without going public like Kobe.

That alone limits the possibilities A LOT. See what Philly got for Iverson for what the Lakers got for O'Neal.

Marion, Thomas, #29 OR #24, Atlantas pick and a future Phoenix pick 2009 or 2010 (possibly unprotected as that could be valueable for Minnesota to expect us to not compete in 3 years anymore). That should do the trick if KG wants to come here.

I'm with you.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
An MVP in his prime for a team that could be that one piece away isn't worth a guy that the team probably wants to unload, a 6th man, and a pick that isn't likely to be a great one next year? I beg to differ.

Calling Garnett an MVP in his prime is stretching it quite a bit.

Considering Phoenix asked Detroit for Wallace, Prince, #17 and #27 for Marion that doesn't sound like Phoenix actively wants to get rid off Marion.

A pick that isn't likely to be great next year? How many years in a row did Atlanta have top7 picks or lottery picks? Must be like 10 years.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres what someone said in the Suns part of the RealGM board about this..

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure how this deal goes down, but earlier it was reported on ESPN that a a 3 team trade could go down with the Bulls, Wolves, and Suns. ESPN went on to say that the deal included Amare and KG. That being said...I know that you suns fans would hate the idea of giving up Amare, but not thinking of yourselves, but your front office, would the Phoenix Suns Orginization trade Amare to get KG?

As a side note, Amare was to land in Chi town, KG to the Suns, and a bunch of young players and picks to the pups.

Anyone else see this ESPN report?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heres what someone said in the Suns part of the RealGM board about this..

Anyone else see this ESPN report?

Man, that is just some random poster. Yes, several weeks ago there was talks of this, and PTI had it as one of their topics, I'm sure that is what this guy is talking about.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is just some random poster. Yes, several weeks ago there was talks of this, and PTI had it as one of their topics, I'm sure that is what this guy is talking about.

Ah ok good.. Sounded like he was saying they were saying just in the last few hours or something..

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Well ok then, off to make another trade keeping barbosa but off goes KT.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This works under the cap and makes some sense I guess

Minnesota gets
Theo Ratliff
Kurt Thomas
Marcus Banks
Atlanta pick in 2008
Phoenix pick in 2009

Phoenix gets
Kevin Garnett
Delonte West

Boston gets
Shawn Marion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no to trading amare..

IMO, if Amare is traded there is definitely chemistry problems on the Suns team involving him. Also I wouldn't trade Amare for KG's salary because there must be better options... maybe even including the #1 pick. Something is going on and I can't figure out the reason.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
This is the one I cooked up:

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3949055

Minny also gets the ATL first from the suns which could not be listed.

I don't know how minnesota could pass this up:

They get the ATL first 08, #5, #24, #29, #32.

They get KT's 8 Million expiring, Ratliff's 11.6 million expiring. So a total savings of 19.6 million at the end of next season. All they have to take on is scalabrines tiny 3.2 million per 3 year contract.

Boston obviously comes away looking like they got a steal.

Phoenix gets KG.

Booyah!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the ESPN link. I must have missed it.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm all over that trade and I would then quickly make a full court press on Grant Hill and PJ Brown for the vet min. If we essentially trade Marion/Thomas/Jones for Garnett/Hill/Brown, we are immediately the better team for it....

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There is no ESPN link, that was an old PTI rumor or something like almost 6 weeks ago. Probably made up by Sam Smith, total ********.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i wouldn't even trade amare for kobe..

unless the lakers take banks too and the suns get bynum..

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
No way, no how, by no means should this team trade Amare, or even consider entertaining offers for him.

I like KG as much as anyone, and if the deal happens to be Marion, Barbosa and a combo of this year's picks and next year's Atlanta pick, so be it. I like Marion and Barbosa, but the two of them for Garnett works for me. KG's a dominant big in his prime, and very well could be the piece that puts Phoenix over the top. However, looking long term, the Suns cannot trade Amare. Maybe the deal would work for the here and now, but for the future, this team would be a disaster. Nash isn't getting any younger, and KG isn't either.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The three way with Boston, Minnesota is getting badly hosed.

I can see Barbosa, Marion and the Atlanta pick. I know some hate it, but Minnesota's not giving Garnett away I don't suspect. Granted, we said the same about the Lakers and Shaq as well as the Sixers with Iverson, but I really and truly cannot envision Minnesota giving up Garnett without getting some kind of substantial return.

Barbosa would give them a SG, and one of the more explosive and better PG/SG combos in the NBA by teaming him up with Randy Foye. Teamed up with Marion, and if rumors that the team has set their sights on Hawes, at least with this deal, the Wolves would have some fire power and a future.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KG is not going to cost Marion, Barbosa and Atlantas pick, that is ridiculous and Phoenix wouldn't even consider it.

KG is 31 years old, makes over 20M$, will only accept to be traded to a contender most likely and is probably unhappy as well without going public like Kobe.

That alone limits the possibilities A LOT. See what Philly got for Iverson for what the Lakers got for O'Neal.

Marion, Thomas, #29 OR #24, Atlantas pick and a future Phoenix pick 2009 or 2010 (possibly unprotected as that could be valueable for Minnesota to expect us to not compete in 3 years anymore). That should do the trick if KG wants to come here.

the most obvious reason why Barbosa must be included with that deal is that... Boston could of just made that offer to Minesota... obviously, PHX had the better offer and for Boston to salvage there off season, acquiring Marion for their 5th pick and Ratliff whilst keeping there young core...

but then again, if KG forces the trade.. then Suns can short change Wolves by not including Barbosa... which is ideal for PHX. (duh).. The Suns has got to be the oldest team after this trade.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

according to your theory, Shawn Marion's going to opt-out this summer, right? So Minnesota, is basically trading KG for a late first-rounder this year, a probable late lotto-mid first round pick next year and a first rounder in four years. Man, I think that is REALLY farfetched.

And if you're gonna make the argument that Marion and KT both come off the books, well... so does KG at about the same money, so that doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure they can do better than three mid-first-rounders over the course of the next four years, which is basically what that trade ends up being.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score

I can see Barbosa, Marion and the Atlanta pick. I know some hate it, but Minnesota's not giving Garnett away I don't suspect. Granted, we said the same about the Lakers and Shaq as well as the Sixers with Iverson, but I really and truly cannot envision Minnesota giving up Garnett without getting some kind of substantial return.

Barbosa would give them a SG, and one of the more explosive and better PG/SG combos in the NBA by teaming him up with Randy Foye. Teamed up with Marion, and if rumors that the team has set their sights on Hawes, at least with this deal, the Wolves would have some fire power and a future.

No way is it if the wolves want to rebuild, #5 and #24 in a deep draft, 19.6 million in expiring contracts, the #29 and #32 to maybe package to move up in the draft or package to get rid of salary.

In this day and age with so many teams over/at/near the luxury taxline, and so many teams sitting pat, getting so many picks (especially in a deep draft) and massive salary relief is a damn good deal.

If minessota did this, they could be at around 40 million in total salary going into the 2008/09 season as well as getting all those picks.

That OR they could just sit on garnett, get nothing no picks no anything, and instead have him opt out during 2008/09. Then they would be at almost the exact same in salary except they got nothing for him...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You forget that Kevin McHale is in charge in Minny? Anything can happen with that dude.. Im not saying this is gonna happen or not, Im just saying..

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
the most obvious reason why Barbosa must be included with that deal is that... Boston could of just made that offer to Minesota... obviously, PHX had the better offer and for Boston to salvage there off season, acquiring Marion for their 5th pick and Ratliff whilst keeping there young core...

but then again, if KG forces the trade.. then Suns can short change Wolves by not including Barbosa... which is ideal for PHX. (duh).. The Suns has got to be the oldest team after this trade.

Boston just making the offer doesn't do it for minnesota, they get the #5 pick but now they have to take on a bunch of salaries from boston. Minnesota would MUCH rather prefer to have an additional 8 million expiring and 3 addition picks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05