Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
KG is the only player in the league I'd feel comfortable with replacing Marion for and being able to keep our style of play pretty much intact. With KG and Amare manning up the front court, we'd be damn near unstoppable. Can you imagine Nash driving to the rim, and having a choice of either KG or Amare to pass the ball to? It gets me excited just thinking about it!

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
if we have amare and KG up front, i don't mind bell playing SF and LB as SG..

I don't see how we get KG without giving up a young, talented player full of potential. Unfortunately that would more than likely be Barbs, and probably Diaw too.

If that's the case, then we would probably start Junior, a good defender, at SF and hope that pretty stroke of his starts falling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If they want Barbosa they would have to take Marion, Barbosa and Banks for KG. Nothing else involved, no picks for Minnesota nothing.

Barbosa has HUGE value right now. More than Ben Gordon definately. He is just as good a young player and he is the biggest bargain in the NBA signed long term.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If Minny wants LB and being in a rebuild mode, the following variation might be accepted.

Minn gets KT, Ratliff, LB, Banks, JR, #5, #24, the better of their own or Hawks' 2008 pick (and Suns get the lesser one).

Boston gets Marion

Suns get KG, Davis, West, Gomes

We could then sign PJ and Hill and have

KG/Amare/Davis/Bell/Nash starting backed up with

Diaw/PJ/Hill/Gomes/West

Even if we don't get Hill, that's far better lineup than last season.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
That's a pipe dream, but I like it!

Anyways, here's a consolidation of the threads on the Internets about this trade:

Oh, and here's a good article about this trade:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...hawn-marion-the-perfect-scenario-for-the-wol/

Kevin Garnett for Shawn Marion: The Perfect Scenario for the Wolves and the Suns

Nate JonesPosted May 20th 2007 2:35PM by Nate Jones

The Situation for the T-Wolves: Kevin Garnett is unhappy in Minnesota (He won't come out and say this in public, but he obviously is). He wants to play for a winner before his career is over, and Minnesota is not going to be winning any time soon. Minnesota is hesitant to trade Garnett, but Garnett holds an opt out clause after next season that would allow him to become a free agent and leave the Wolves. Therefore, Minnesota has no other choice but to trade Garnett before the start of next season to acquire something for him before they lose him for nothing. The ideal situation for T-Wolves would be trade Garnett for multiple picks, a young star, and/or cap space. With the demand for Kevin Garnett, finding someone to provide one or all of those scenarios shouldn't be too difficult.

The Situation for the Suns: After falling short of the NBA Finals for the third consecutive season, the Phoenix Suns obviously have to make some improvements. During the playoffs, it's almost necessary to have a low post offensive threat and a low post defensive stopper. Currently the Suns best low post offensive player is Boris Diaw and their best low post defender is Kurt Thomas. Amare is a beast, but he doesn't really have any moves on the post. He gets most of his points off of high screen and roll plays with Steve Nash and from offensive put backs. On the low post, he has a turn and face rocker step/first step move and a spin move toward the baseline and not much else. On defense, he's more of a help defender than a one on one defender. That's why it was Kurt Thomas and not Amare defending Tim Duncan for the majority of their series vs. the Spurs.

As well, the Suns have a player in Shawn Marion that can also opt out to become a free agent after next season. Marion is a great player, who has felt stifled by the Suns system. He's also a guy that makes $17 million per season and will be looking to extend long term for similar type dollars. With Phoenix already entering luxury tax hell, it's obvious that the Suns aren't anxious to hand Marion another long term deal. But with a player as sensational as Marion they have to make sure they get something for him before they lose him for nothing.

The Suns will also most likely have Atlanta's lottery pick in this year's draft, as well as two other first round picks(numbers 24 and 29). Packaging one or more of those picks and Marion could lead the Suns to the low post player they covet. They could try to trade up in the draft to go after a player like Kevin Durant or Greg Oden, but they need someone that is ready to come in and play now, not someone that is there for the future. As well, only Oden really fills their needs, and at this point I don't see any GM wanting to be the GM that traded him away.

Solution for Both Teams: Minnesota Trades Kevin Garnett to Pheonix for Shawn Marion, James Jones, Atlanta's lottery pick and one or both of the Suns other first round picks (numbers 24 and 29). :shock:

Pros for Minnesota: In this deal, Minnesota potentially gets all three things they would be looking to acquire in a deal for Garnett. They get an All-Star player (for at least a season) in Shawn Marion, as well as multiple first round picks in a draft that is on the level with the 84, 96, 99, and 03 draft classes. James Jones would be thrown in to make the trade work salary wise, but he's a free agent after next season, which opens up cap space. As well, they can use the first half of the season to see if Marion likes playing in Minnesota with their young squad. He has the desire to establish himself as a first option superstar, and playing in Minnesota would certainly give him the opportunity to show us what he has to offer. If Marion doesn't work out, they can still try and package him before the trade deadline for more picks and more cap space.

The worst case scenario is that Marion walks for nothing. Given that Garnett was likely to do that after the season anyway, I'd say they would be in a better position to absorb the blow of losing a star player for nothing after acquiring multiple first round picks from the Suns. Plus Marion leaving wouldn't actually be that bad because it would give them the cap space necessary to acquire one or more players via free agency.

If this trade went through the T-Wolves would potentially own the 4th, 7th, the 24th and/or 29th picks in this year's draft. For a team looking to rebuild, you can't ask for much more.

Pros for the Suns: For the Suns it gives them an immediate low post presence to combat Tim Duncan. Unlike Amare, KG can guard Tim Duncan one on one. As well, he has a solid low post game that is on par with Duncan's. A starting front line that included Garnett and Amare Stoudemire would be downright unstoppable.

On defense, KG (a perennial all-defensive team member) would defend the best post player while Amare (a good weakside shot blocker) could roam and block shots. On offense, the Suns would become even deadlier. They could not only run pick and rolls with Amare and Nash but also pick and rolls and pick and pops with Garnett and Nash. As well, they would have a low post presence that they could throw the ball into when all else is failing. Plus, Garnett is so versatile that he could easily fit into the Suns system on offense. I mean, what is there that Garnett can't do?

Financially it would not give the Suns relief over the next two seasons. However, it would allow them to go for broke and win the championship before Nash's career is up. In a winning situation Garnett would likely not opt out after next season, giving the Suns a two year window to win the championship. After those two years are up, the Suns would be in a position to re-evaluate their team and either attempt another championship run or let both Garnett and Nash go (The Suns hold an option on Nash after 08/09 season). Basically if their two year run did not work out, they could start over and build around Amare and Barbosa under a more favorable salary structure. And at least under this scenario they would not be paying Marion max type dollars for another 6 years and would also have a more realistic chance at the NBA championship.

Honestly, I see this as a win-win for both teams. The Suns get the ammo they need to combat Duncan and the Spurs, while the Wolves get the first round picks necessary to rebuild. As well, Garnett gets an opportunity to play for a championship, while Marion gets an opportunity to be the face of a franchise. What do you guys think?

*Obviously for this trade to work, Phoenix needs to be awarded Atlanta's top 3 protected pick. Tuesday's draft lottery could be a big day for Minnesota, Phoenix, and Atlanta.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
OK. I will say that there is plenty of smoke around this trade on the Internets, but I will hold off on commenting further or expressing glee or optimism until it is officially announced....

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Ya I am not sure if this rumor is just blowing up because people want it to happen....but its popping up on ALOT of message boards.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pipe dream, but I like it!

Anyways, here's a consolidation of the threads on the Internets about this trade

Sohh.com's MB is hardly a valid source for anything.. Its a hip-hop site that is over run with lil kids geeking over 50 Cent or Dipset...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a new post from realGM..

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:00 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what I'm hearing is that is going to be Marion, Kurt Thomas and the Suns 24th pick and Atlanta's pick next year for Kevin Garnett and Marko Juric. The Suns already warned the wolves that they are not going to trade Amare and if they don't take this offer soon that they are going to go to explore another deal with a another certain team that they are having discuss as well, I'm speculating that it's the Lakers and it will involve Kobe.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a new post from realGM..

From that same guy.. wtf? this is all so strange..

Sorry but let me add to this as I'm getting more information but its going to be a 3 team deal if it happens and here is waht I'm hearing.

Suns trade: Shawn Marion,Kurt Thomas 24th pick and Atlanta's pick for 08.

Suns get: Kevin Garnett

T-woves trade: Kevin Garnett, Ricky Davis
T-wolves get: Ben Gordon, Kurt Thomas, Andre Nicioni (s&t) and Bulls Pick #09,Suns pick #24 and Atlanta's pick 08.

Bulls trade: Ben Gordon,Andre Nicioni and Bulls pick#09
Bulls get: Shawn Marion ,Ricky Davis

The team that is thinking of not doing this trade is the Suns becouse they know have inside source telling them that Kobe is pushing to go to Phoenix and any Kobe trade will begin with Marion as well. They are going to make sure that the inside source is true and if it is they are going to call this trade off and they are going to make every effort to get Kobe in a Suns uniform. The source also told me that worst that can happen is that they keep Marion and Thomas and add a couple free agents and probably trade a James Jones,Eric Piwokaski. The Suns are in the driver seat in all this trades according to what I've been told.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Here is another variation. Minnesota turns Marko Jaric into Marcus Banks (thats a good thing for them).

Minnesota gets
Ratliff, Gomes, Banks, Thomas, #5, #29, Atlanta 2008, Phoenix 2009
Phoenix gets
Garnett, Jaric
Boston gets
Marion

Jaric might actually work well with Barbosa. At 6'7 he would play PG and guard the SG while Barbosa plays SG and guards the PG.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the dude I just posted two of his posts from real GM says this..

I can't give you my source yet, becouse then I wouldn't have a source if I did but you guys need to listen to sports 620 tommorrow in the after noon and you will hear who my source is. Guys I can't compromise my source at this moment but beleive me that this is for real. It looks like the the kobe deal it's getting some steam now, if you want some more information see the sports line tonight on Fox 10 with Jude La Cava, Mike D'Antoni will be there. Sorry I wish I could give you my source but at this precise moment I'm not able to.

So in an hour and a half we'll know more? Thats what he's implying.. What the ????

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
As long as it is not for Amare... Do other teams think that Amare is the attitude problem on our team?

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Ive said it before Rashad McCants I heard is one of Amares best friends so wouldnt be surprised to see something involving Amare or Rashad

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
As long as it is not for Amare... Do other teams think that Amare is the attitude problem on our team?

Well Media makes it sound like Amare intentionally missed the team meeting at the end of the season when all he did was tell them he would go to sleep a couple hours after flying back from San Antonio and clean his locker after that while the rest of the guys met right away to do that..

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
But I re read this and cant see this team getting blown up honestly...

Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant
Grant Hill
Kevin Garnett
Boris Diaw

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If they want Barbosa they would have to take Marion, Barbosa and Banks for KG. Nothing else involved, no picks for Minnesota nothing.

Barbosa has HUGE value right now. More than Ben Gordon definately. He is just as good a young player and he is the biggest bargain in the NBA signed long term.

This is a great point. If they want Marion AND barbosa, they have to take banks

I dont see Kerr wiping marion and barbosa off the roster in his first year of the driver's seat though.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With all the talk these past few days, it's gonna suck royally if we dont get EITHER garnett or kobe. At this point I'm just hoping we aren't all setting ourselves up for a huge dissapointment.

Even though you rationally tell yourself nothing will probably happen, its hard not to get excited.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the talk these past few days, it's gonna suck royally if we dont get EITHER garnett or kobe. At this point I'm just hoping we aren't all setting ourselves up for a huge dissapointment.

Even though you rationally tell yourself nothing will probably happen, its hard not to get excited.

Im perfectly fine with nothing happening.. Well let me restate that.. Im fine without getting Kobe or KG.. Adding depth and role players should really be looked at though..

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This works under the cap and makes some sense I guess

Minnesota gets
Theo Ratliff
Kurt Thomas
Marcus Banks
Atlanta pick in 2008
Phoenix pick in 2009

Phoenix gets
Kevin Garnett
Delonte West

Boston gets
Shawn Marion
I think this trade works for everyone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i agree about being excited and i'll probably be checking this board nine million times over the next couple days, but i'm pretty sure it will all be for naught. either scenario is just too good to be true IMO, especially the Garnett one if we're actually able to keep Barbs. I mean:

Nash
Raja
James Jones
KG
Amare

Boris
Leo
Grant Hill

no one could beat that team... no one could even take more than 2 games at most from that team in the playoffs.

or Kobe, Nash and Amare on the same team? 3 first team ALL-NBA players? come on. that's just dreaming, no matter if it kind of makes sense (which in a weird way it does), but it just seems too good to be true.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Grant hill would be perfect fit if we did get Kobe or KG, he would sign a low deal and get his ring, and be on his way.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slinslin
This works under the cap and makes some sense I guess

Minnesota gets
Theo Ratliff
Kurt Thomas
Marcus Banks
Atlanta pick in 2008
Phoenix pick in 2009

Phoenix gets
Kevin Garnett
Delonte West

Boston gets
Shawn Marion
I think this trade works for everyone.

As much as I would love a fairytale ending to this trade...I dont think the NBA Gods would let us get rid of marcus banks and gain kevin garnett in the same season, let alone same day of trading.

On another note, I dont see us losing LB and Marion. If this goes through it will definitely be

Marion/KT/ATL 08 for Garnett/*

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im perfectly fine with nothing happening.. Well let me restate that.. Im fine without getting Kobe or KG.. Adding depth and role players should really be looked at though..

Actually if it came down to getting Kobe or KG I think I would rather have Kobe....assuming that we have Amare still on this team. I know we could use another big man...that's a given. Not to mention that I would LOVE to add KG to this roster.

However, in Kobe your talking about adding one of the best players in the league bar none. I just threw up a little in my mouth because I don't like that guy as a person but holy crap.

These 3 guys together is a title IMO.

Nash
Kobe
Amare
and insert whoever you want in the other 2 spots says title to me.

If the Suns are dealing with both the Lakers and the T-Wolves and they are both legit in their interest then someone must have made a sacrifice to the NBA gods in the Sun's favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05