Sad news about our Pat Tillman

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Jim O - Why not retire his jersey and reissue it to the public. With the profits going to the family or some charity Pat believed in.

I’d buy several.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You may all disagree with me but unles you have been in some sort of special forces you wont know.

Pat Tillman would not want to be honored by retiring his jersey or naming a stadium after him.

In elite groups like the rangers you are part of a family. It may sound like a cliche but in these groups the bonds are almost tighter than the ones with your paternal parent.

He wouldnt want any special honors from football unless they names stadiums after his fallen comrades as well. He would say his sacrifice was no more or less than the man who fell next to him.

Thats what makes Tillman, Tillman. He understood this. Thats what made him a Ranger. I was never a ranger but I was a sniper attached to a ranger group. They are some of the bravest men alive and Pat fit in very well from what I read.

He would want people to know he fought for us and that the men who died with him died for the same cause. And that it was a few men from their family that have died since this war started and not just one man.

Bless Pat Tillman and all his fallen brothers.

Djaughe

Reaction score
When maddogkf called me with the news I was (and still am) stunned...

I agree with pariah that Pat Tillman represents the best qualities in-which we all hope our sons to have.

Pat Tillman rest in peace - we will always remember you!

:beer:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was painting the kitchen when my brother came in and told me he had bad news. I thought he was gonna say something about the draft since we made our mock last night. I never expected to hear Pat died ... and I haven't stopped crying since.

I always had hoped he would one day wear a Cards jersey again. I know what jersey I'll be wearing tomorrow for the draft. Rest in peace, Pat, and thank you for your dedication on the football field and the battlefield.

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
May he go in peace. He has served his country well. One hell of a human being. :(

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
You may all disagree with me but unles you have been in some sort of special forces you wont know.

Pat Tillman would not want to be honored by retiring his jersey or naming a stadium after him.

In elite groups like the rangers you are part of a family. It may sound like a cliche but in these groups the bonds are almost tighter than the ones with your paternal parent.

He wouldnt want any special honors from football unless they names stadiums after his fallen comrades as well. He would say his sacrifice was no more or less than the man who fell next to him.

Thats what makes Tillman, Tillman. He understood this. Thats what made him a Ranger. I was never a ranger but I was a sniper attached to a ranger group. They are some of the bravest men alive and Pat fit in very well from what I read.

He would want people to know he fought for us and that the men who died with him died for the same cause. And that it was a few men from their family that have died since this war started and not just one man.

Bless Pat Tillman and all his fallen brothers.

How about Ranger Stadium?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Rest in peace Mr. Tillman...let us remember him and all his comrades-in-arms who have paid the price of freedom with blood.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
I am in a devistated state of shock...He is not the only soldier to pay the ultimate price but he just hits so close to my heart.

God bless Pat, I am proud to say I shared the same air as you.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

You eloquence honors him, and I'm sure you're right.

However, doing such things is also a way for US to cope, remember, and pay tribute.

Personally, I would love to get a jersey, make a donation and maybe even fly back for some type of memorial at some point.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Here is a little more information..

In the Line of Duty
U.S. Army Ranger and Ex-NFL Player Pat Tillman Killed in Afghanistan

April 23 — Pat Tillman, a former NFL player who swapped a glamorous football career to enlist in the U.S. Army, has been killed in action in Afghanistan, ABCNEWS has learned.

The 27-year-old former football player was killed in direct action during a firefight in eastern Afghanistan Thursday, Pentagon sources told ABCNEWS.

A former member of the Arizona Cardinals, Tillman, along with his brother Kevin, enrolled with the U.S. Army Rangers after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

According to a Pentagon source, Tillman was killed in action when his Rangers patrol was attacked by small arms fire and mortars during a coordinated ambush in eastern Afghanistan.

One enemy combatant was killed, and Tillman was the only U.S. soldier killed during the ambush, said Pentagon sources. His brother, Kevin, is in the same platoon.

Last year, the brothers were awarded an Arthur Ashe Courage Award meant for individuals whose contributions transcend sports. The award was accepted by their younger brother, Richard, while the brothers were away.

Tillman, an unrestricted free agent, traded a $3.6 million, three-year contract with the Cardinals for approximately $18,000 a year in the military. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Tillman was an exceptional student with a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated summa cum laude with a degree in marketing.

The Tillman family has been notified, according to a Pentagon source.

I can't imagine a worse pain than losing a brother from the same unit in combat. I am absolutely numb right now....

patsri

Reaction score
New England Fans mourn

Somtimes we as fans take sports to the extreme. The quote I use when I post is an example. Reality intrudes though. Pat Tillman gave up millions of dollars to fight for this country. In an age where athletes measure respect by the amount of money they get (Ty Law) or where they are happy (Eli Manning) I can honestly say no athlete will ever get more respect from me than Pat Tillman. He was a true hero. As we all get caught up in the Draft tomorrow hopefully none of us nor any of his fellow athletes will forget how lucky we are to have soldiers like him fighting for our freedom, freedom to enjoy small things like football. From all the NFL and Patriot fans we offer our condolences to the Cardinal and more importantly the Tillman family.

"Pro Football is a game not a war, it's for win or lose, not life or death...but say that in the summer for winter brings the playoffs and a season is at stake." - John Facenda The Power and the Glory

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
sad

... we know who he is, i'm thinking about all the guys and girls that have been killed and maimed that don't have the high profile - lot's of friends and families have lost loved ones - everyday almost i feel it - young people 20, 21 yrs old snuffed out - war is it's own creature, eats the young - of our country and theirs

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
You eloquence honors him, and I'm sure you're right.

However, doing such things is also a way for US to cope, remember, and pay tribute.

Personally, I would love to get a jersey, make a donation and maybe even fly back for some type of memorial at some point.

More than that...It helps us, who are alive, to never forget. If the field is named after him than every Sunday he, and what he fought for, can be remembered.

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
God bless Pat and all the fallen soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen that gave their lives in the service of our country. I pray for Pat and the rest and may God return them to us or care for them in his prescence. I will remember!

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

I don't think many will disagree with you.

It was my first thought when they announced the NFL press conference, that Tillman wouldn't have wanted it. But I also believe that he would understand and accept our need to do something. . . . Anything.

Memorials are for those left behind.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sad...

Sad sad news.

God bless you Pat Tillman. Thank you for your giving the ultimate sacrafice. You're a true HERO.

I hope Bidwill makes some type of memorial to Pat at the new stadium (name the field, a section, statue...something)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:

Good point. I'm sure Pat would shun them, but honors for him serve to remind us of Pat's sacrifice and the kind of person Pat was.

Selflessness, courage, loyalty, sacrifice; Pat knew what these meant. Honoring him honors these traits and his memory.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
For all ASFN lifers tommorow can we can sign a petition for his number to be retire,#40 patch, something and then give it to Cardinal official who will be there at Jackson's and 3rd.

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
Heart felt prayers to the Tillman Family...

My heart is heavy for Pat...his family and all of the soldiers fighting right now for our freedom. The news on ESPN this morning hit me like a ton of bricks, having trouble working....

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAKTEN said:
My heart is heavy for Pat...his family and all of the soldiers fighting right now for our freedom. The news on ESPN this morning hit me like a ton of bricks, having trouble working....

Indeed. Work for me today is all about hitting the refresh button...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so bummed. What horrible news to wake up to.

I feel absolutely horrible for his family and especially his wife - he left for the service just shortly after they got married - never had a real chance to start a family together.

RIP Pat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05