So long Leonard

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why would we take Graves at his word? Or trust his judgement for that matter. What exactly has he done to inspire all of this confidence?

come on now. you're jumping the gun. wait to see what he does with june 1 cuts before you judge him!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, the whine has been that nobody else but the Cards let good people go for no compensation and it's just not true.

Another one. NE let Ty Law go for nothing.

these are all great examples of teams doing it once each. the cards do it repeatedly which only compounds the other errors they consistently make that those other teams listed do not. therein lies the difference.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gotta keep our powder dry, Bryant Johnson might need an extension.

ooooh, forgot about that. how could bj's grand extension slip my mind?

good to seed you back posting again 11. so many of the old guard are nowhere to be found. seems most of the interesting debates and humor are gone and now it's just a lot of anger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So RG made the decision to not field a good team?

Humm inquiring minds wonder if he can be that dumb

despite your manlove for mr graves, this mind is no longer inquiring. it's convinced he is that dumb.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wish that we would had tried to get compensation for LD but I will say this - I think that our OL, being better coached this year, will play better than last year's.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ooooh, forgot about that. how could bj's grand extension slip my mind?

good to seed you back posting again 11. so many of the old guard are nowhere to be found. seems most of the interesting debates and humor are gone and now it's just a lot of anger.

I have to disagree. I've been laughing all night at some of the stuff that's been posted about the Davis announcement.

One thing this board has not lost is its humor.

come on now. you're jumping the gun. wait to see what he does with june 1 cuts before you judge him!

:biglaugh:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I know it's been said, but I just find it unbelievable that they didn't tag Davis, even just to trade him. I cannot imagine a worse free agent market for the tackle position. There is not one great player available at the tackle position, and Davis is clearly the best. The guy has been a pro bowl alternate on multiple occasions and was the best of an improving line as the season went on. There is little doubt considering the market that Davis would garner at least a third round draft pick.

Another consideration is the idea of continuity. Although the offensive line was horrendous in the early going, I think we can all agree that as the season went on, the line quickly improved. The starting lineup of Davis Lutui Leckey Brown Wells was working together as a group and seemed to be moving in the right direction. If you keep the majority of the line together and made an upgrade at either guard or center, I believe you would have a more than competent line. Now we are without the most important position on the line, with no clear options in regards to a competent fill in. We have an unbelievable amount of free agent money, but with a lot of other buyers with lots of money and virtually no good options at the position.

I don't understand why you wouldn't franchise the guy for a few reasons. If he plays well and works with the current coaches, then you have the option of signing him long term. Considering the guy has pro bowl potential, especially with good coaching, it seems unbelievable that you don't take a 11 million dollar risk on the guy. If we spend all of our cap room and the line is strong next year, then no problem, the team made the right choice. Unfortunately, I have that sinking feeling that we've been to this rodeo before. If the line is suspect next year and Davis thrives elsewhere, there will need to be some explaining to do.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't understand why you wouldn't franchise the guy for a few reasons. If he plays well and works with the current coaches, then you have the option of signing him long term

I think the Cards have been operating under the impression that there is a longevity cap instead of a salary cap in the NFL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The reason this is such a bitter pill to swallow is two fold:

1) We don't have an adequate replacement on the roster, available through FA, or a guaranteed opportunity at Joe Thomas(unproven at best).

2) There is no way we could not have at least traded LD for a low #1 pick or #2! NO FREAKIN WAY! LT's are on of the premier positions in the NFL.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are insane. Davis was mediocre at best and certainly not worth 11 mil. He will generate some interest but nothing close to the what the Cards would need to pay to keep him. Have some faith in Whiz and Grimm, they did the right thing. I believe there is still a real possibilty Davis comes back to the Cards when he sees the market for his asking price isnt what he expected.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are insane. Davis was mediocre at best and certainly not worth 11 mil. He will generate some interest but nothing close to the what the Cards would need to pay to keep him. Have some faith in Whiz and Grimm, they did the right thing. I believe there is still a real possibilty Davis comes back to the Cards when he sees the market for his asking price isnt what he expected.

The better have one hell of a Free Agency period but the smart teams are already locking up the quality players like LD.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While you are correct about the insane part, I really doubt LD is going to sign with the Cards. The Texans, Cowboys or Niners will probably offer him a boatload of money.

Personally I hope he signs with the Niners. I would love to play against him twice a year. Our DE's could get their Pro Bowl tickets punched just off of the sacks they would get in these two games alone.

The Shark

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While you are correct about the insane part, I really doubt LD is going to sign with the Cards. The Texans, Cowboys or Niners will probably offer him a boatload of money.

Personally I hope he signs with the Niners. I would love to play against him twice a year. Our DE's could get their Pro Bowl tickets punched just off of the sacks they would get in these two games alone.

The Shark

He gave up alot of sacks? Compared to who? Less than Walter Jones.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I believe you will be shocked as to how much LD gets on the free agent market.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Davis could probably have been extended last year for far less than 11 million. In fact its been written that his not getting an offer for an extension really bothered him.

This isn't some me first player looking for more than he's worth. This is a guy who donated his truck every Sunday so that Cardinal Charities could raise money by raffling off a tailgate party behind it for each home game.

I think the Cards are going to be taken aback when they see the market price for his replacement isn't what they expected.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
The same guys that complained about his drive killing false starts are the same that want him to be franchised. We may not know the entire story here. Whiz and the staff spoke to Davis and his people and decided he is not worth it, I agree and will give them the benefit of the doubt. For once there seems to be a coach here that has won before and knows what players it will take to win again.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Idiots....they can get a draft pick for him with the tag....as usual, this team lets a player walk without anything in return... I am a big critic of Davis, but COME ON...there simply arent enough above average players at his position in this league and he will have many suitors...just plain stupid...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think this is a good move by the Cardinals. Davis is by no means worth the money and it's debatable whether or not the Card's would have received compensation had they franchised him. I also think it's rather ill-informed to think that there aren't good players out there to be had via the draft or free agency. In this day and age, I don't think it's a wise course to pursue big-named, high-priced free agents to "solve" your o-line problems.

A good coach/system can find the talent they need. NE signing a wrestler and making him a starting center for example. It's much better to be "good" across the board and work well together than it is to have a "great" high-priced bookend. That's the most glaring part of this argument, the idea to pay Leonard Davis like he's one of the best LT's in the league when the guys who actually are the best in the league don't mean the difference between success and failure for their teams.

I'm willing to give the new coaching staff and Graves the benefit of the doubt. I don't have the years of frustration that many of you do so I can understand the difference in perspective but so many of the moves that the Cardinals have made the last few years have been positive one's that I also believe that this isn't "the same old Cardinals". Fitzgerald, Boldin, James, Leinart, etc. have all been good moves. There's been bad luck/moves on the o-line but if Whis/Grimm deserve any benefit of the doubt in an area it's with the line. I think this decision is the first of many to improve the unit that's continually held the Card's back the last 3 years.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
All of you are missing the whole point. Graves thinks we already have Big's replacement on the roster. Next years starting LT: Alex Stepanovich. He was just playing out of position. He had LT written all over him. If DG and Loney would've been better coaches then Step would've already been out there.

;)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All of you are missing the whole point. Graves thinks we already have Big's replacement on the roster. Next years starting LT: Alex Stepanovich. He was just playing out of position. He had LT written all over him. If DG and Loney would've been better coaches then Step would've already been out there.

;)

Elton actually has the talent to play LT, but I doubt he has the heart.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've seen alot of posts about how we can get a new guy in at LT and ,with Grimm's coaching, he can be coached up to be an adequate replacement out there. Using that theory, wouldn't Grimm be able to coach up Davis and we would have a pro-bowl LT out there?

Another point people are missing is the "LD isn't worth the 11-12 million cap hit" argument because we are going to use that money to get more FA's in here. Davis' cap number wouldn't have to be 11-12 million if they would have worked out a new contract for say 5 years/ 40-50 million and the bonus is spread out.

Plus, the argument of that amount would be overpaying Davis doesn't hold water because, in free agency, we are going to have to overpay anybody that is brought in here. That's just the way free agency works. Do you really think Nate Clements or Eric Steinbach are going to come here for a contract that isn't above and beyond what anyone else is offering? This whole move just reeks of bad front office team management. But, history shows that what we get with the Cards and Rod Graves. Hopefully, he started his background checks on potential free agents so we don't have to wait a week to offer a guys after he visits :bang: .

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the late night weekend posts.

There actually is an interview with Davis in the East Valley Tribune today in which Davis says he'd like to play for Whisenhunt and wouldn't mind staying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05