Suns get lottery pick from Lakers if they miss playoffs

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not big on conspiracy theories, but it does strike me as slightly fishy that the year that a huge potential star player comes out of Ohio, Cleveland gets the #1 pick (James). The year a huge star player comes out of Chicago, the Bulls get the #1 pick (Rose). Especially considering the Bulls had to overcome extremely long odds in the lottery to win it and get Derrick Rose.

If the Raptors get the #1 pick next year and the right to draft Toronto native Andrew Wiggins, Im officially going to have my tinfoil hat on.

I can't imagine any conspiracy theory that leads to the NBA wanting Lebron in Ohio. I suspect they'd rather lose that franchise completely than have one of the most marketable players ever end up there. I don't believe in conspiracy theories in general because secrets always come to light but if I were to believe in them, Chicago and Toronto (next season) play much better than the Cleveland/Lebron connection.

Steve

dse2010

Reaction score
The biggest tank job in recent years was the Cavaliers to get James. Unfortunately, even though it had only a 25% chance of working, the tank paid off, and so now other teams are more likely to consider it when there's a potential franchise player coming out.

They are in full tank mode again this year.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Apparently Dragic is "resting" tonight. Utah is one game behind the Lakers. I'd say we are now officially doing some tanking.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Dragic is "resting" tonight. Utah is one game behind the Lakers. I'd say we are now officially doing some tanking.

Yep.

Paul Coro @paulcoro

Dragic was told that he's being held out of #SunsAtJazz tonight to rest & give Marshall & Garrett time. By the way, Utah's 1 back of Lakers.

Smart move.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm not seeing this discussed anywhere yet, but at the 4th spot, who do we take?

Only Noel and McLemore are the locks this draft, right? I mentioned a few months back that I would want Noel on this team. He gives us the Camby/Ratliff that we have all wanted on this team for so long.

But what about Anthony Bennett? I just read about him on DX and NBADraft and the dude sounds for real. NBADraft compares him to Larry Johnson and that would be sick. Seeing as I don't know anything about him, how does he stack up? Is he in the mold of LJ and/or Anthony Mason?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm not seeing this discussed anywhere yet, but at the 4th spot, who do we take?

Only Noel and McLemore are the locks this draft, right? I mentioned a few months back that I would want Noel on this team. He gives us the Camby/Ratliff that we have all wanted on this team for so long.

But what about Anthony Bennett? I just read about him on DX and NBADraft and the dude sounds for real. NBADraft compares him to Larry Johnson and that would be sick. Seeing as I don't know anything about him, how does he stack up? Is he in the mold of LJ and/or Anthony Mason?

He is one hell of a scorer. Post, perimeter- he has it all.
He doesn't seem to be able to guard a chair on the perimeter, and doesn't show much desire to play D in the post either. He's right up there with Steve Nash when it comes to D.

He's not going to make it as a SF, and I am not sure if he is big enough to be a PF- he's barely 6'7, but does have long arms, so he might be able to make it as a PF. There are some concerns with his long history of injuries.

If Maclamore and Smart are gone by the time we pick, I'd be OK with Bennett, assuming we can get something for Scola. I like Porter as well, but we already have Dudley and Tucker, so I am not sure where he'd get any minutes.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I can't imagine any conspiracy theory that leads to the NBA wanting Lebron in Ohio. I suspect they'd rather lose that franchise completely than have one of the most marketable players ever end up there. I don't believe in conspiracy theories in general because secrets always come to light but if I were to believe in them, Chicago and Toronto (next season) play much better than the Cleveland/Lebron connection.

Steve

I agree, I dont really believe it (or conspiracy theories in general). Its just weird...and fun to think about :)

Pro tip: You can pretty much ignore NBADraft.net, its terrible. ESPECIALLY the player comparisons.

They likely said "Anthony Bennett is a black, tweener forward from UNLV- he must be Larry Johnson!" Their player comparisons are just brutally awful. Also, theyll never compare a white player to a black player, or a black player to a white player, its silly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure there is a lock in this draft. As for Bennett, he's always been my target for our draft spot but there are concerns. Probably the biggest question is whether he'll be able to move to SF in the NBA and that's always difficult to project. Also, and this ties into his defensive reputation, he seems to tire quickly. He'll go gangbusters for a stretch and then dog it the rest of the game and it doesn't look like he's lazy out there, just worn out.

Early in the season he was looking like a probable top 3 spot but he's slid a little. When he was playing alongside a healthy Moser he was really turning heads but ever since Moser returned too early from his injury, Anthony has been up and down.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers almost blew a 14 point lead in the fourth, but the refs completely swallowed their whistle when Kobe fouled Rubio on the game tying 3 with a second left. too bad.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Pro tip: You can pretty much ignore NBADraft.net, its terrible. ESPECIALLY the player comparisons.

They likely said "Anthony Bennett is a black, tweener forward from UNLV- he must be Larry Johnson!" Their player comparisons are just brutally awful. Also, theyll never compare a white player to a black player, or a black player to a white player, its silly.

Lol. You're right. I forgot that LJ was at UNLV. Anyway, I've noticed that NBADraft has gone as far as seemingly matching players based on how closely they look to a prior NBA veteran. I can't think of an immediate example, but I remember explicitly thinking, "Really?!?!?"....

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lakers almost blew a 14 point lead in the fourth, but the refs completely swallowed their whistle when Kobe fouled Rubio on the game tying 3 with a second left. too bad.

wow, definitely a foul. Howard might've fouled him too. What a clutch sequence by Bryant, miss the free throw, stare at it while Rubio blows past and then fouls him on a 3 pt attempt. wtf

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe says that's not a foul and they ain't gonna call that ish...

Same thing when you sprained your ankle Kobaby.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow that's just awful. The nba is more and more of a joke to me each passing year.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
No surprises there, Fakers are fake. I'm afraid that the POs will be a scripted joke too. Joey Crawford will get richer.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The NBA has released a statement that a foul should have been called on Kobe Bryant in the final seconds of the Los Angeles Lakers' 120-117 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday night.

Bryant made contact with Ricky Rubio on a last-second three-point attempt that could have tied the game.

"Video review by the league office confirmed that Kobe Bryant fouled Rubio while Rubio was in his shooting motion," the league said on its website. "Rubio should have been awarded three free throws."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ul-call-kobe-bryant-vs-minnesota-timberwolves

What a f**king joke.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I didn't think it was an outrageous call. Rubio's physical reaction was phoney which I'd count as indication that Kobe didn't hit his hand/arm. The flight of the shot indicated he hit something but from the pics it could have been he hit the ball or the hand or both. A known good defender like Kobe won't get called half the time on that at such a point of the game. If that was the worst favoritism the refs show for the Lakers, I'd be happy

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was an outrageous call. Rubio's physical reaction was phoney which I'd count as indication that Kobe didn't hit his hand/arm. The flight of the shot indicated he hit something but from the pics it could have been he hit the ball or the hand or both. A known good defender like Kobe won't get called half the time on that at such a point of the game. If that was the worst favoritism the refs show for the Lakers, I'd be happy

I've seen worse (many times) but I still think it was an outrageous non-call as the refs had no excuse for missing the play. I'm not sure how you saw the game but watching it in HD on a big screen, IMO, it was clear that Kobe got forearm and wrist in addition to hand.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The refs couldn't save the Lakers from the Bucks. Unfortunately, Indiana just demolished Dallas in the third quarter. :-(

Edit:
If we get the second lottery pick, looks like we may have a choice of Len, Olynyk, Plumlee, and Austin with #13.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs couldn't save the Lakers from the Bucks. Unfortunately, Indiana just demolished Dallas in the third quarter. :-(

Edit:
If we get the second lottery pick, looks like we may have a choice of Len, Olynyk, Plumlee, and Austin with #13.

yeah.. freaking Dallas crapping the bed tonight. they could have moved into a tie!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MWP out meniscus. Kobe ankle and now bone spurs on his foot. Nash with a hip or groin problem and questionable. Howard with a nagging shoulder injury. Pau still trying to play back into shape after a torn plantar facia.

Why don't they just throw in the towel, and let everyone start to heal rather than risk career ending injuries? Getting into the playoffs will only likely get them a 4 game sweep in humiliating fashion.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MWP out meniscus. Kobe ankle and now bone spurs on his foot. Nash with a hip or groin problem and questionable. Howard with a nagging shoulder injury. Pau still trying to play back into shape after a torn plantar facia.

Why don't they just throw in the towel, and let everyone start to heal rather than risk career ending injuries? Getting into the playoffs will only likely get them a 4 game sweep in humiliating fashion.
That's their whole starting lineup. I hope no NBA General Manager in the future makes the short-sighted decision to hire D'Antoni and his stubborn SPOL * rotation ever again.

* Seven players or less