Suns target Kobe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0630suns0630.html
At 9 tonight, the Suns send out that mythical Brink's armored truck loaded with their estimated $16.3 million worth of salary-cap space.

If they were really hitting the road in pursuit of free agents, the Suns would need a fleet to cover their bases. Their vault on wheels would be in the driveways of Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash when the contact period opens.

From there, the journey to the July 14 signing period will be a cross-country adventure.

"It's a little nerve-racking," Suns President/General Manager Bryan Colangelo said. "We've got a lot of options and a lot of story lines and subplots to those stories . . . We've got a few things up our sleeve."

Utah, Denver, Atlanta and Charlotte all have more to spend, although Atlanta and Charlotte have more holes to fill than the Suns, who believe they have a playoff-quality core in Amaré Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson.

The Suns' success in their pitches to Bryant and Nash will dictate their next move. Undoubtedly, that will include chasing a big man who can give Stoudemire some space and allow Marion to run the floor. The top candidates are Detroit's Mehmet Okur, Sacramento's Vlade Divac, Golden State's Adonal Foyle and their own free agent, Antonio McDyess, if he comes with a hometown discount.

But Phoenix has not suffered to get to this spending opportunity in order to chase second-tier free agents. Bryant is on speed dial.

"Until Kobe commits, I'm sure that is their No. 1 target, and rightly so," Suns broadcast analyst Eddie Johnson said. "I think it's feasible. I don't think it's 100 percent he'll stay in LA. If he stays, he'll be perceived as the guy who got Phil Jackson fired and Shaquille O'Neal traded."

San Antonio can offer Bryant a title-ready team. The Clippers can allow him to stay in Tinseltown. The Lakers can offer the most money, but he still could get that in a sign-and-trade deal.

Whoever cuts the check does so with trepidation over his August sexual assault trial.

With Bryant in a Suns uniform, Johnson perhaps would become a point guard. Without Bryant, Johnson would remain at shooting guard and Nash would become the target as an ideal leader for the team and mentor for Leandro Barbosa. Nash, 30, was third in the NBA in assists last season and second in free-throw percentage. Nash, a career 41.6 percent three-point shooter, seemed a doubtful candidate during the season when he and Dallas had a mutual desire to stay together. That may have changed with Dallas' draft-day trade for Wisconsin point guard Devin Harris.

Have a question for your favorite Suns, Cardinals, Coyotes, D-Backs player? Click here to submit the question for one of our reporters to take it to the source. Look for the answers on Page 2 of Saturday's Arizona Republic.

Nash's agent, Bill Duffy, also represents Stoudemire.

"We feel like we have a legitimate shot," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said of the upper-tier free agents. He can't comment on specific players. "We love our core group of guys and our young guys. This is an opportunity to get a really good player and keep getting better."

In their perpetual big-man search, Phoenix is believed to be a front-runner for Okur, a restricted free agent. The Suns would be able to offer more than Detroit, which can give him no more than the midlevel exception (about $5.1 million) if they keep Rasheed Wallace. The 6-foot-11 Okur's role was diminished by Wallace's arrival in Detroit, but the 25-year-old native of Turkey can block shots and play on the perimeter. He wants to start.

"A big guy is always going to take up space and be serviceable," Eddie Johnson said. "I find it hard to give small guys a bunch of money because they're an injury away from being done. I think the Suns will be looking big. Amaré needs a brute next to him. That's going to really accelerate him."

The next big man on their list may be Golden State's Erick Dampier, but does a career year justify the eight-digit annual checks he is seeking? Foyle, his backup, may be an option at a lower price. He's big, can block shots and is a better locker-room presence.

D'Antoni said Phoenix might seek a perimeter player who has point-guard skills. That sounds like Seattle's Brent Barry, 32, another career 41 percent three-point shooter who can handle the point.

Other possibilities at point guard include Minnesota's Troy Hudson and the Lakers' Derek Fisher. Beyond Okur, the restricted free-agent pool has two more players who will at least get feelers from the Suns: San Antonio off guard Emanuel Ginobili and Clippers off guard Quentin Richardson. Argentina native Andres Nocioni, who plays in Europe, is an appealing physical swingman

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
good read thx alot...

This should be a fun offseason no matter what happens...

Brett10S

Reaction score
Troy Hudson is interesting to me. If he's healthy, he might be cheap. Its tough to demand much coming off an injured year. He was a solid PG who could score, IMO. Your thoughts?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about Hudson. I know his injury side lined him most of last year, but in the '03 play offs he was pretty damn good. I wouldn't mind giving him a look if we don't sign Kobe.

I think I'd still prefer Brent Barry over just about any guard we could sign as an FA besides Kobe though. I'm starting to warm to the idea of a Stromile Swift / Brent Barry / Money under the cap plan for options as the year progresses, plan at the moment.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was the first time anyone in the media mentioned Foyle going to the Suns (it has been on our board for months, but these media guys are really slow). I would not be shocked if the Suns made a big push for him because he is a better fit and lot less expensive than Okur.

Also,

D'Antoni said Phoenix might seek a perimeter player who has point-guard skills. That sounds like Seattle's Brent Barry, 32, another career 41 percent three-point shooter who can handle the point.

:thumbup:

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Kobe is worth it. I don't think he can make the other players bettar. The Suns have tried big name guys in the past and none other than Chambers and Barkley have worked. They should take a clue from Detroit and build a team not one great player and bunch nobody's.

Az240z

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brett10S said:
Troy Hudson is interesting to me. If he's healthy, he might be cheap. Its tough to demand much coming off an injured year. He was a solid PG who could score, IMO. Your thoughts?
I like him as a PG. High energy. Hard to guard. Good defender. Is improving every year. I think he would be a good signing for the Suns. I like him better than Brent Barry or Nash as a cheaper option! :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Hudson, but I have questions about his consistency. I think he will get at least $3 million as a starting salary, which might be fine, but I wouldn't consider the PG situation "solved" if he were to come aboard.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I thought Hudson has attitude problems. That's the reason Orlando didn't keep him.

He also clearly is a shoot-first PG and basically missed the entire season because of several injuries.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
az240zz said:
I don't think Kobe is worth it. I don't think he can make the other players bettar. The Suns have tried big name guys in the past and none other than Chambers and Barkley have worked. They should take a clue from Detroit and build a team not one great player and bunch nobody's.

Az240z

dude, almost every name player we've brought in (other than googs and penny) has been a bonus. manning was great until injured. ac green was exactly as advertised. barkley and tc you already mentioned.

and we wouldn't have one great player and a bunch of nobodies, unless you consider amare, marion, jj, barbosa, lampe, etc. a bunch of nobodies - cuz we wouldn't have to give up a single player to get kobe. do you read this site or any sports publications?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't forget about Rodney Rodgers, Tony Delk, Rex Chapman, and even John "Hot Rod" Williams.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
az240zz said:

Az240z

I'm going to get REALLY tired of hearing this. It was ONE YEAR! Now all of a sudden you don't need a superstar to win? Please. I give the Pistons credit, but to think that you'd be better off without the best SG in the league on your team is absolutely crazy.

I personally hope other teams try to copy the Pistons so the suns can beat the living crap out of them with Kobe + Amare.

Also, Kobe would put some butts into the seats and the Suns would finally be the talk of the town again. I miss actually hearing about the Suns. They might as well just call Fox Sports AZ, "Coyotes Sports AZ."

/rant.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I'm going to get REALLY tired of hearing this. It was ONE YEAR! Now all of a sudden you don't need a superstar to win? Please. I give the Pistons credit, but to think that you'd be better off without the best SG in the league on your team is absolutely crazy.

I personally hope other teams try to copy the Pistons so the suns can beat the living crap out of them with Kobe + Amare.

Also, Kobe would put some butts into the seats and the Suns would finally be the talk of the town again. I miss actually hearing about the Suns. They might as well just call Fox Sports AZ, "Coyotes Sports AZ."

/rant.

It is not just Kobe that is being questioned. The real issue is whether his kind of player is going to be effective in future years.

The thing that separates plays like Kobe, T-Mac, etc. is that they are hard to defend and can hit difficult shots. For a decade an half the NBA has been fixated on Michael and later Kobe because they changed the way the game was being played.

But in the last two years, the championship was not won by a team with a super wing player. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I think the rules changes may have something to do with it.

Under the old illegal defense rules, it was possible for a wing player to set up a straight one on one situation in the "clear out" play. All the player had to do was to get into a two man game to thwart double teams and then just break down the opponent for a layup or a short jumper.

What the Pistons showed in the finals was not a fluke. While a great defensive team, they would not have been able to stop Kobe using the old rules. In the old days, a guy like Prince could not press Kobe tightly because there would not have been any support behind him. Under the new rules, even when Kobe got by Prince, someone else was in his face.

Look across the NBA, every top scorer has witnessed a drop in shooting percentage by 20 to 30 percent. As coaches watch tapes of what Larry Brown did, you can expect to see more and more of this.

Under the old rules, it was better to have the three outside guys score 25, 10 and 10 than to have three guys score 15 each because the 25 point guy would be unstoppable. That may not be true anymore.

But isn't it better to have a great scorer than not? Perhaps, but only if the guy is willing to give up some of his offense to help the team win. I think that Stephon Marbury is a classic example of a player who has refused to adjust and the result is a drop in his effectiveness.

Great offensive players never believe they can be defensed. They end up hanging onto the ball and are more focused on getting their shots, than in finding the open man. Teammates become more concerned about "spacing" than in moving, cutting, etc. because they don't want to interfere with the super scorer.

During the finals, Oscar Robertson ripped Kobe for not getting his teammates involved. Oscar talked about his championship year that he gave up a lot of his offense to get everyone involved. If he wanted to, Robertson could have been as dominant a scorer as Kobe - but he was more concerned with what it took to win.

People compare Kobe to MJ, but MJ made a point of getting his teammates involved including giving a teammate the shot that won a championship. I'm not sure either Kobe or T-Mac are prepared to be the kind of team player that the new rules require.

Considering the price, it is a real concern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Michael Jordan also punched his teammate Steve Kerr in the face.

And I saw Kobe passing up big shots very often when Rush was open on the wings.

MJ averaged 5.3apg for his career. In his last 3 Chicago seasons he averaged 3.5, 4.3 and 4.3.

Kobe averaged 5.1, 5.9 and 5.5 the last 3 seasons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correction: the top scores have seen their shooting percentages decreased by 2-3% not 20-30%. There's quite a difference there. :)

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images
Andres Nocioni,
Argentina

Name: Andres Nocioni (Andrés Nocioni)
Nickname:
Born: 11/30/1979
Origin: Santa Fè, Argentina
Height: 6-7/2,03cm
Weight: 225/1,03kg
College: N/A
Drafted: N/A
Languages: Spanish, Italian
Teams (jersey): Argentine National Team (#13), Tau Vitoria (#5), CB Manresa, Independiente General Pico
FACTS: Andres Nocioni may be best known in the USA for having dunked on Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan in the 1999 Olympic qualifier. Andres made his debut with Racing Club Avellaneda (Argentina) during the 1995-96 season...signed for the 1996-97 season by Olimpia Venado Tuerto...singed for the 1997-98 by Independiente General Pico...played there also the 1998-99 championship...moved to Spain for the 1999-00 season, signed by Tau Cerámica Saski Baskonia Vitoria...sent on loan for the 2000-01 season to Basket Manresa, in the Spanish 2nd Division...back to Taugres Tau Cerámica Baskonia Vitoria for the 2001 playoffs...he's still playing there.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Argentinean All-Star Game -99, Argentinean National Team -99-02, Argentinean League Finalist -99, South American Championships -99(Finalist),01(Champion), Panamerican Games -99, Spanish LEB All-Star Game -01, Spanish ACB FinalFour -01, South American Championships All-Star Team -01, Tournament of the Americas (Copa America) in Neuquin (ARG) –01(Champion), Spanish Cup (Copa del Rey) Winner -02, Spanish ACB Champion -02, World Championships in Indianapolis (USA) -02, Eurobasket All-Europe Imports 2nd Team 2002

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I've never hear anyone mention blocking shots as one of Okur's strengths. Does he have decent timing blocking shots? Anyone?

From what I've seen, Okur is better at blocking his own man's shot than he is at guarding the basket. "Shot-blocking centers" are usually the opposite.

If he was on the Suns, they'd probably be better off putting Okur on the other team's post threat and having his teammates help out, instead of the other way around.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Nocioni didn't look as good as I thought he'd be (a few years back) - not sure how much he'd cost?

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I've never hear anyone mention blocking shots as one of Okur's strengths. Does he have decent timing blocking shots? Anyone?
Just think of a milder 25 year old Bill Laimbeer, same vertical leap and foot speed.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
This was the first time anyone in the media mentioned Foyle going to the Suns (it has been on our board for months, but these media guys are really slow). I would not be shocked if the Suns made a big push for him because he is a better fit and lot less expensive than Okur.
They Didn't mention Foyle. They mentioned Dampier. :shrug:

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Don't forget about Rodney Rodgers, Tony Delk, Rex Chapman, and even John "Hot Rod" Williams.

We got Hot rod in the majerle trade, not as a free agent!