The Phx Suns have a real center

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It sounds like Gortat is learning that it's better to praise your teammates to the media than to blame them for your own shortcomings.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It sounds like Gortat is learning that it's better to praise your teammates to the media than to blame them for your own shortcomings.
I remember Gortat coming in a dissing the Suns style (or lack of) defense. I didn't care too much for it because he was just a "back up" center. Carter is the one who is supposed to be that kind of blah blah blah problem in locker room blah. Truth is they have both done great here. The defense is really good right now, if we can do better on the boards and turn it over less...

Gortat has been in Lopez's shoes, watching some dude ignite your team while you sit and watch. He was really cool about saying Lopez just has to chill, not get bummed, and keep working, that's what the Polish sensation did.

Loved his props to Nash, when Gortat first got here, his pick and roll looked desperate and uncoordinated. Now it's opening everything up. Lopez can do the same, he is only 22, and can now bang heads with Gortat in practice. Lopez should benefit from this and he already kinda has, he is playing better too.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Nash will make Gortat better, and the Hammer knows it.

Going back to the trade: I remember most here being totally positive about it on its own terms. But some rightly pointed out that you can't just praise the organization for unloading Hedo's contract without acknowledging that they also took it on voluntarily.

The notion of what this team could be with Gortat and Amare is a waste of time, IMO. It never would have happened: if the FO had re-signed Amare the same pieces wouldn't have been in play. It's still possible, but we also don't even know that they would have been looking for it.

However, though I'm not saying Stat is replaceable (I actually think I did before, but his performance in NY is making me give him more credit), but his role is. In fact, I'm much happier thinking about the PF options we might entertain than lamenting the fact that our PFs constantly play out of position.

Carter's production is a stopgap and his value is the expiring contract. He's clearly not the future, but I wish he actually tried to make a case for it. It's not unheard of for a player in his situation to impress the team that had been planning on letting him go...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC867 finally has found a big man (Gortat) he likes and he wants him starting. ;)

What I look at, if Lopez continues to develop, the Suns will have two quality centers or a trading piece in Lopez they can use to acquire a PF/C. It is all good.

In an article by Paul Coro dated January 30th, 2011 Gortat seems to understand the situation better than some fans. See link below.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...suns-zabian-dowdell-injured-goran-dragic.html

Gortat then followed up on TV by saying that he is confident the Suns will give him the opportunity to start.

Besides the arguments for making him starter several of us have already made it's something that needs to happen if you plan on keeping Gortat long term on this team. Gortat obviously wants to start. You will not be able to keep him happy long term playing behind an inferior player.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With the next game being against the Bucks I wanted to see how Hammertime would play against Bogut. I don't think it's going to happen though, looks like he got gimped up in the Clipper game Monday.

An X-ray taken immediately after the game was negative, but Bogut will undergo an MRI on Tuesday to provide more details about the severity of the injury. "Hopefully it's just a knee bruise," Bogut said. "It's swollen up already. I don't think it's going to be a long-term thing. Hopefully it's not a week or two thing; hopefully it's just a day or two." Even in a best-case scenario, it sounds like Bogut might miss Wednesday's game against the Suns.

Now this looks like one of those games we should definitely win and those are the ones that scare me right now. :)

Gortat rules! :rockon:
from CBSSPORTS.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/preview/NBA_20110202_MIL@PHO/buckssuns-preview

The emergence of Marcin Gortat has certainly helped. Gortat chipped in occasionally but was hardly dominant in his first 12 games with the Suns after coming over from Orlando, but he has five double-doubles in his last seven games.

He had a then career-high 19 points and 17 boards against the Celtics, then surpassed that with 25 points and 11 rebounds in the win over New Orleans.

"(Gortat's) playing great," said Steve Nash, averaging 12.6 assists in Phoenix's last 10 games. "He's picking and rolling and catching and finishing, and I try to make it as easy for him as I can. He's improving every day. I think he's getting more confident and more comfortable getting so many reps, so many opportunities."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Gortat then followed up on TV by saying that he is confident the Suns will give him the opportunity to start.

Besides the arguments for making him starter several of us have already made it's something that needs to happen if you plan on keeping Gortat long term on this team. Gortat obviously wants to start. You will not be able to keep him happy long term playing behind an inferior player.
And although Marcin got two quick fouls in the last game, then produced a game's worth of points and rebounds in the 2nd half, he acknowledged afterwards that he will be careful.

The philosophy of continuing to start Lopez so he can get the the early fouls would make sense if Gortat were not an intelligent player. But that is not the case here. Gortat has more basketball common sense in his Polish hammer than the Lopez brothers do in their whole bodies. :rolleyes:

Can I get an LOL on that? :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Gortat has more basketball common sense in his Polish hammer than the Lopez brothers do in their whole bodies.

How do you know so much about his "Polish Hammer?"

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
There is only one another week of exams and then I can watch Suns games again . . . I can`t stand waiting for that.

By the way - good performances of Gortat will give you new supporters in Poland. Trust me - I`m here for one month and a lot of my friends are talking about Gortat and PHX. My little cousin ask me what is the best team in NBA and - I`m sorry for that, cuz I was in his age when I was started to watch NBA. I can`t change my mind;-) - I said "Jazz and Suns buddy. Enjoy Suns and believe in Jazz".

So? Enjoy it, I hope that my prognoses about this season will be just a crap ;-)

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
Going back to the trade: I remember most here being totally positive about it on its own terms. But some rightly pointed out that you can't just praise the organization for unloading Hedo's contract without acknowledging that they also took it on voluntarily.

The notion of what this team could be with Gortat and Amare is a waste of time, IMO. It never would have happened: if the FO had re-signed Amare the same pieces wouldn't have been in play. It's still possible, but we also don't even know that they would have been looking for it.

You can praise Lon Babby though.

They could have been on the same team together. It would have taken a novel approach...like not selling our draft picks. :bang:

BTW, I am have the following exchange going through my head right now:

"Honey, have you seen that 2nd rd draft pick anywhere?"

"Oh that dirty ol' thing? I sold it in a garage sale. I was able to get $0.50 for it!"

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are winning when Gortat plays well. He doesn't have to start for us to do that. You think starting is some kind of badge of honor. It isn't. Finishing is what counts. Maybe I'll put that in my signature. :D

Starting is actually a pretty big deal. Esprcially when someone crappy starts over you.

How do you think LeBron'd feel if James Jones started over him but Lebron still got more playing time? How do you think Kobe'd react if Shannon Brown started over him? How do you think Amare would feel if Randolph started over him?

By your logic, Suns should just start Dowdell and let Nash come off the bench with more minutes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Starting is actually a pretty big deal. Especially when someone crappy starts over you.
Right on! The winning players in the NBA are the ones who want the responsibility of determining the outcome.

Starting your best players to show your strength at the start of the 1st and 3rd quarters (and letting the chemistry develop) is just as important as closing the game.

Every game starts from zero. Not every game ends with the result on the line. And even if it did, playing catchup every night is emotionally and physically draining.

A 20-10 Center not only deserves to be rewarded for his skills and effort. The fans should be rewarded with it as well.

chickenhead

Reaction score
A friend of mine was saying that no one in his fantasy league has Gortat right now, and that people are considering the stats deceptive until he starts. --Not that they are doubting his ability, but people's perceptions of value are affected by the status. As a competitor, Gortat will take it personally if he doesn't get what he's earned.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why John Havlicek and Manu Ginobili both quit playing basketball. They were so enraged by having to come off the bench for significant portiions of their careers. Could you imagine if either of them had to put up with being the backup for a whole month or two? I get what you guys are saying. I agree he's the better player but I think you're making way too much of it.

How come none of you (that are bothered by this) can accept that Gentry might have a legit reason for starting Lopez right now? I don't know what that reason is or if it's even a good one but I find it amazing that it's not even being considered. Gentry has access to a lot more information than we do and for some reason he keeps starting Robin. Maybe you think the Coach really is a complete moron but if that's the case, why not invest yourselves in that argument instead of making a mountain out of this particular mole hill?

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why John Havlicek and Manu Ginobili both quit playing basketball. They were so enraged by having to come off the bench for significant portiions of their careers. Could you imagine if either of them had to put up with being the backup for a whole month or two? I get what you guys are saying. I agree he's the better player but I think you're making way too much of it.

How come none of you (that are bothered by this) can accept that Gentry might have a legit reason for starting Lopez right now? I don't know what that reason is or if it's even a good one but I find it amazing that it's not even being considered. Gentry has access to a lot more information than we do and for some reason he keeps starting Robin. Maybe you think the Coach really is a complete moron but if that's the case, why not invest yourselves in that argument instead of making a mountain out of this particular mole hill?

Steve
I no make mountains, I know what I see and I do think Gentry will start Gortat soon enough. If Gortat continues to outperform Lopez and give us the best chance to win then any coach would make the switch. Akuna Matada, Gortat will get the start soon enough. :) We pulled out some really nice wins with Gortat sparking the team and playing his Polish heart out.

We can like and grow to love the Hammertime with out dissing Lopez. Lopez is young and can learn a lot from "The Polish Playmaker." (copyrights;))

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I no make mountains, I know what I see and I do think Gentry will start Gortat soon enough. If Gortat continues to outperform Lopez and give us the best chance to win then any coach would make the switch. Akuna Matada, Gortat will get the start soon enough. :) We pulled out some really nice wins with Gortat sparking the team and playing his Polish heart out.

We can like and grow to love the Hammertime with out dissing Lopez. Lopez is young and can learn a lot from "The Polish Playmaker." (copyrights;))

He's got pretty nimble feet, perhaps we should call him The Pole Dancer.

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's got pretty nimble feet, perhaps we should call him The Pole Dancer.

Steve
Between Poland , the Hammer, the missed layups in the beginning, ther is sooo much material to work with. :D We probably haven't even scratched the surface.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm more than willing to think that Gentry has his reasons. On the Cards board I'm generally willing to think Whiz has his reasons, too, even when things aren't going well. And no one said Gortat was going to quit basketball. I just said he'll take it personally.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

I think it's a big deal for 2 reasons. One Gortat has already thrown down the gauntlet. He stated that he believes he will get the chance to start. Meaning he wants to. He wants to start. Sooner or later it will piss him off IMO.

Next, I think it's also sending Lopez the wrong message. You are basically telling him "your our guy at center". We all know he isn't.

Last but not least, I think Gortat really needs to get more time with the starters. He needs to get familiar with the starting guys and I personally think he could even be better if he was not mixed out there with some bench players.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Starting is actually a pretty big deal. Esprcially when someone crappy starts over you.

How do you think LeBron'd feel if James Jones started over him but Lebron still got more playing time? How do you think Kobe'd react if Shannon Brown started over him? How do you think Amare would feel if Randolph started over him?

By your logic, Suns should just start Dowdell and let Nash come off the bench with more minutes.

Well, when you start comparing Gortat to Lebron, Kobe and Amare, then the argument is over.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's a big deal for 2 reasons. One Gortat has already thrown down the gauntlet. He stated that he believes he will get the chance to start. Meaning he wants to. He wants to start. Sooner or later it will piss him off IMO.

Next, I think it's also sending Lopez the wrong message. You are basically telling him "your our guy at center". We all know he isn't.

Last but not least, I think Gortat really needs to get more time with the starters. He needs to get familiar with the starting guys and I personally think he could even be better if he was not mixed out there with some bench players.

You guys do know that he plays more with the starters (barring foul trouble) than Lopez does, right? Now, if you want to really make your argument, why not just say you want Lopez to play more with the bench guys? ;)

Look, I'm not advocating keeping Robin starting. I wouldn't mind Gortat starting at all. I just don't think it's as big a deal as all you guys are complaining it is.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have the Polish layup, the Hammerdunk..well when he gets an offensive board and scores it right away then we have the.....Polish putback!
The Polish putback is better than the Hammerdunk statistically with the rebound that comes with it.:) But then again the Hammerdunk does get the crowd going and can turn into a 3pt play with the foul.

Wait a minute, didn't he sink ALL of his free throws? What kind of 7 footer with a power game sinks all his free throws? Does anybody have his free throw percentag since he has been with the Suns?:)

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
In 19 games 0.776 %

everything is on nba.com nba.com/playerfile/marcin_gortat/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05