The Phx Suns have a real center

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we are learning that unless you already have a league dominating 7 footer like Howard on your team, Gortat can produce great numbers and is has the all around game including toughness that can take teams deep in the playoffs. Like everybody else here I am amazed this happened for the Suns months after losing Stat. That hurts. Suns are always one player away, one play away, one fading chance away.

It does take a bit of the sting out when you watch Gortat play. The spark and attitude of a previously caged Polish beast nobody realized was starving for a chance to get down on the get down. Love that he will be getting 1000 points tonight as a Sun.

Hammertime is a big reason the Suns are back on track. But everybody has been stepping it up so I love that is a team improving, and we can get better.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gortat in only 26, right?

man, it's nice to think we actually have a decent center in the middle of the lane for the next 5 years.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
gortat in only 26, right?

man, it's nice to think we actually have a decent center in the middle of the lane for the next 5 years.
And one of the guys in here from Poland said he isn't injury prone.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
. Like everybody else here I am amazed this happened for the Suns months after losing Stat. That hurts. Suns are always one player away, one play away, one fading chance away.

You have to remember that trade never happens w/o losing Stoudamire.

Things happen for a reason.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Excellent point. A healthy legitimate Center, rather than an all-star Power Forward of questionable future health playing out of position.

A rebounder and defender scoring in the low post, rather than a scorer playing farther and farther from the basket as he gets older.

What we lost was a perennial All Star. What we gained is the foundation of a team looking to become elite.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Why not? We likely would have acquired Hedo anyway. In fact, this was one of Sarver's talking points when he was pitching Stoudemire. We traded Clark, Richardson, and Hedo to acquire Gortat, all players that had nothing to do with losing Stat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? We likely would have acquired Hedo anyway. In fact, this was one of Sarver's talking points when he was pitching Stoudemire. We traded Clark, Richardson, and Hedo to acquire Gortat, all players that had nothing to do with losing Stat.

I agree. The only thing is though, we might not have gone after Gortat because Hedo wouldn't have been such a such a rotten apple if he'd played just the 3 spot. It wouldn't have been an ideal fit but it wouldn't have stood out the way it did with our lack of a PF. OTOH, It might have happened anyway since Orlando would still have been in need. Maybe we get Gortat and a couple of picks for just Hedo. Someone crank up the time machine and let's find out for sure.

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Congrats to the Hammer on 1000 points and his new found double team worthy Hammer dunking reputation. I guess the Thunder was doing some homework.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Gortat was never the one player that could have put the Suns over the top anyway.

Chandler or Camby were the types of players the Suns had to acquire but never did although both of them were on the market several times during the Nash/Amare prime years.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat was never the one player that could have put the Suns over the top anyway.

Chandler or Camby were the types of players the Suns had to acquire but never did although both of them were on the market several times during the Nash/Amare prime years.
Poopy post Saturday?

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Are you honestly saying that if we still had Stat, Gortat wouldn't help Nash and the Suns compete better in the playoffs? :mulli:
WOW

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gortat is not bad. In fact he is almost as good as our fifth big.

It's hilarious how you show up the morning after Splitter has his one decent game of the month. I saw the Spurs box score last night and thought, "Yep, here comes that Spurs troll whose name I can't remember, Manu-something." It's like clockwork, except the occurrences are so rare that we really need to say calendar-work, or maybe zodiac-work, or something.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gortat is not bad. In fact he is almost as good as our fifth big.

Duncan... Weird, I count one Spur big better than Gortat.

Dajuan "6'7" with no ACL's" Blair: 7.9 ppg, 7.0 rpg .44 bpg
Antonio "washed up" McDyess: 5.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg .5 bpg
Tiago "Bench" Splinter: 4.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg .28 bpg

Meanwhile...
Gortat with Phoenix: 10.7 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.10 bpg
That's taking into account that Gortat has just started to become acclimated to the team. With his minutes and numbers on the rise his averages are sure to increase. If Gortat were on the Spurs he'd be starting next to Duncan without a doubt and would be your second best big. Who is this "5th Big" that you are saying that Gortat is almost as good as? Surely you can't be referring to Matt Bonner? Or do you guys have another European gem like Splitter tucked away.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2 wins on back to back nights, with defense paving the way. Lopez keeps playing better but the Hammer keeps bringing it. If both these 7 footers really get it going, might we see them on the court at the same time against one of the bigger NBA clubs? Would Lopez be playing this well if Gortat hadn't come to the desert?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
2 wins on back to back nights, with defense paving the way. Lopez keeps playing better but the Hammer keeps bringing it. If both these 7 footers really get it going, might we see them on the court at the same time against one of the bigger NBA clubs? Would Lopez be playing this well if Gortat hadn't come to the desert?
Certainly not. Nor Frye. We got 3 improved players out of the Orlando deal -- Gortat, Frye and Lopez. OK -- 4. Pietrus is now part of the rotation and playing good defense.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Certainly not. Nor Frye. We got 3 improved players out of the Orlando deal -- Gortat, Frye and Lopez. OK -- 4. Pietrus is now part of the rotation and playing good defense.
Yamon, it's nice to see Frye not give away so many lbs to what ever giant they would put him up against at times. He is contributing even when his shot is off now.:eek:
Lopez is really trying to roll to the bucket and be more of a menace on the boards.
It is weird watching them stop several possessions in a row. But I could get used to it. Gortat came in talkin smack, now he is backing it up. Life is good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They never know who is going to beat them.

How about Warrick rounding out the 4-man rotation at the two power positions vs. Utah.

Hakim, in his 21 minutes, was second to Nash in scoring with 16 points.

And he was second to Nash in assists with 3.

And, with six rebounds, he was one of 4 Suns grabbing 6 or 7 boards to go with Gortat's 10.

The opponents are overplaying Gortat, who plays a lot of minutes with Nash on the bench, but he is still making a big contribution game after game.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat getting 10 boards a game with out starting and sharing some serious minutes scares me. How good is this cat gonna get?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They never know who is going to beat them.

How about Warrick rounding out the 4-man rotation at the two power positions vs. Utah.

Hakim, in his 21 minutes, was second to Nash in scoring with 16 points.

And he was second to Nash in assists with 3.

And, with six rebounds, he was one of 4 Suns grabbing 6 or 7 boards to go with Gortat's 10.

The opponents are overplaying Gortat, who plays a lot of minutes with Nash on the bench, but he is still making a big contribution game after game.

That was the most made jumpshots I've ever seen in one game from Warrick. I usually cringe whenever he shoots from outside 10 feet, but he kept making them. Funny thing is, Hubie Brown said he was a good shooter inside 18 feet. Maybe he was thinking of Amare Stoudemire.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That was the most made jumpshots I've ever seen in one game from Warrick. I usually cringe whenever he shoots from outside 10 feet, but he kept making them. Funny thing is, Hubie Brown said he was a good shooter inside 18 feet. Maybe he was thinking of Amare Stoudemire.
With Frye not making his 3-pointers (he should have moved in for 15-footers), Warrick filled a need -- one that is not usually his role. 'Good to see him do well with it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am not really interested in seeing them on the court at the same time, to me its just great that we have a quality C on the court at all times.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am not really interested in seeing them on the court at the same time, to me its just great that we have a quality C on the court at all times.
I am kind of with you on this, because we can play our other positions and all, but against teams like the Lakers with all the size, I wouldn't mind seeing Frye, Lopez, and Gortat bangin in there. Only on "special" occasions would be my take, but I hope they run it in practice every now and then. Frye can stretch out that 3 pt line, with Lopez and Gortat rolling to the basket, and all 3 grabbing boards. Atleast we have the 21 footer if we need it, if Lopez keeps getting better it could be fun.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of keeping a center on the court as well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I like the idea of keeping a center on the court as well.

I can't remember a Suns team that had a center that was more than an after thought. Alvan Adams was great but he wasn't really a true center.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05