Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Howard Balzer

@HBalzer721
·
4m

The Cardinals had no waiver claims today and no tryouts. Perfect example of "dust not settled" on rosters is that 12 players placed on practice squads yesterday around the league were already released today.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You could interpret a lot from the team putting Jones on IR with a heel injury.
Wouldn't be surprised to see it linger all season. He looked decent in run support. Sadly the primary job for DB's is pass defense.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see it linger all season. He looked decent in run support. Sadly the primary job for DB's is pass defense.
We don't need him yet. Plenty of guys infront of him that will get substantial play time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, that and him being 3rd team.

Pretty clear he is a bust they aren't quite ready to get rid of yet.
That's going a little far for me.

But it's worth noticing that we acquired three cornerbacks in the draft and it sure looks like ST5 and Kei'Trel Clark (who was benched for almost the entire second half of last year) were not firmly marginalized.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that and him being 3rd team.

Pretty clear he is a bust they aren't quite ready to get rid of yet.
I didn't see anything from Jones during the preseason, but then again I wasn't able to watch any of the practices didn't really focus on him during the games. I would think that if the Cardinals didn't still have hope for Jones they wouldn't use one of their designated to return from IR designations on him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sure. Probably fine he doesn’t play until after his 25th birthday. Good even.
Lol... I forgot we drafted so many averaged covid players. But it once was pretty common for some obscure injury to put a guy on IR for the season so the team didn't lose him.
Could be as simple as they know more about Jones capabilities than another guy so they stash Jones until they are sure the other guy is better/worse.
But from what I saw of Jones he may be better suited to safety...good run support but pretty limited in coverage.
As you mentioned, he has little to gain in physical maturity so maybe coaches think it's technique and skills that he needs to develop.

CB is second to TE in rough rookie seasons but most seem to get their growth from taking their lumps on the field

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Howard Balzer

@HBalzer721
·
1h

Cardinals terminated contract of RB Tony Jones Jr. from IR with an injury settlement. He can actually return later in the season, if needed and, of course, if he isn’t with another team.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Howard Balzer

@HBalzer721
·
27m

Some number changes for the Cardinals according to club website: WR Xavier Weaver will now be 89. On the practice squad, WR Dan Chisena will be 80 and former No. 80 Bernhard Seikovits will be 47.