Do you have confidence with Babby and the 2013 draft?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns could very well have 2 lottery picks but I don't have faith in Babby. What do you guys think?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Honestly, it's a crap shoot. There is no data that shows that Babby and Blanks know how to evaluate talent, but I really think if you are picking twice in top 10, you might get lucky and draft one good player.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know anything about our scouting department, but I like our chances if we have a top 5 pick. There are some good players there.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have any confidence in them or the Suns scouting department at all. But then again, if you draft this high, then it doesn't really matter who your scouts are.

There may be one or two (or none) perennial all-stars in the lottery. The odds of the Suns getting a draft slot that will yield one of them is pretty small and it will require a whole lot more luck than any real talent evaluation. Most teams in the lottery will have very similar draft boards. Who ends up with who is just a matter of luck, and most teams will come away with a bust like they do every year. They just won't know it for a few years.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There may be one or two (or none) perennial all-stars in the lottery. The odds of the Suns getting a draft slot that will yield one of them is pretty small and it will require a whole lot more luck than any real talent evaluation. Most teams in the lottery will have very similar draft boards. Who ends up with who is just a matter of luck, and most teams will come away with a bust like they do every year. They just won't know it for a few years.

Or there might be 5, how do you know?

There are several players with allstar potential in the lottery: Shabazz, McLemore, Noel are the most obvious ones early in the lottery and late in the lottery you still have a few players with very high upside like Marcus Smart or Archie Goodwin or Otto Porter.

Last edited:

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
No confidence in the SUNS front office at all.
Just review their decisions made the past few years, and that tells a depressing story.

Show 'em ALL the front door, and start anew.

Once, a fine basketball city, is nearing demolition status......:(

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Or there might be 5, how do you know?
I don't. I'm just going by averages. Ignoring last few drafts since none of those players have made an all-star team yet, between 2000 and 2009 there were on average 2 perennial all-stars drafted in the lottery. And you'd probably have to go back close to 20 years or more to find five. What are the chances it happens this year? Most likely, there will be around two. Now what are the chances the Suns end up with the draft slot that yields one of those two as opposed to one of the other 12 lottery-drafted players who never amount to anything?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Because it is not as black and white as you paint the picture. The majority of lottery picks were at least long term role players in the NBA.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because it is not as black and white as you paint the picture. The majority of lottery picks were at least long term role players in the NBA.
I don't think anyone here will call it a success if all the Suns get for their awful season is another role player. But yes, there's a whole spectrum of players that can be found in the lottery. Most won't be complete busts, but also most won't be superstars either. And the Suns desperately need a superstar.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
A young capable starter would be a start too since they don't have any starting quality players that can be considered young.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there is much scouting with the top 3 picks in this lottery.

Shabazz, McLemore, and Noel.

It looks like we might be heading for top 3. I don't know if it really matters what order for those three. Noel is probably #3 but for the other two its a toss-up. Both will probably be very good players and its the best you will do in this draft.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think there is much scouting with the top 3 picks in this lottery.

Shabazz, McLemore, and Noel.

It looks like we might be heading for top 3. I don't know if it really matters what order for those three. Noel is probably #3 but for the other two its a toss-up. Both will probably be very good players and its the best you will do in this draft.

Probably a good idea not to scout Noel if you're picking him in the top 3. It will only lead to disappointment.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Errntknght

Reaction score
I have slightly more hope for our draft picks with Hunter as the HC. I don't know that Blanks will listen to him but he might - he should. I always thought that Gentry stayed away from drafting/hiring/firing as being outside of his domain - it might have been politically wise but basketball knowledge seems so lacking in the rest of FO that some would have been better than none. Hunter may elect to steer clear of that, too, but there is hope. Also I like that he has an interest in prospects defensive skills, which were not that highly regarded in the past forty odd years here in Phoenix.

Phranklin

Reaction score
Forget Babby, I have no confidence in the 2013 draft class. Toronto has been advised to give away their draft pick for the best offer. We should trade both ours for a package like Shved from Minny and Aaron Afflalo from Orlando and go for a championship now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget Babby, I have no confidence in the 2013 draft class. Toronto has been advised to give away their draft pick for the best offer. We should trade both ours for a package like Shved from Minny and Aaron Afflalo from Orlando and go for a championship now.

... what are the guidelines for banning or suspending someone for obvious trolling? I feel like this guy is right on the edge with a post like this.

Phranklin

Reaction score
... what are the guidelines for banning or suspending someone for obvious trolling? I feel like this guy is right on the edge with a post like this.

Hello Phrazbit, cool name. Please don't unilaterally ban me yet. I have a cool Dan Marjerle .gif I'd like to share in the spirit of Barkley's pot stirring remarks last evening. I require 6 more posts before showering my love upon this forum.

I am sorry you value draft picks differently than I, that's just the way life is. I am a broker by trade and make a living evaluating assets and pairing together when asset values are mismatched. At this point in time, I have made the determination that Aaron Afflalo is multiples better than anything available at the seventh spot. The return is nearly 54 % by my calculation. Shved is clearly better than anything available at 12-14.

Not having draft picks is not exciting for fans but then again neither is number crunching to unlock value. However, I will continue to put forth the effort for this wonder fan base.

Phranklin

Reaction score
Phrazbit, one more question for you. Will you unilaterally ban me for recommending trading the two draft picks for Ryan Anderson and another small piece?

I believe an rebounding stretch four is just what the doctor ordered. Scola should go to rehab.

Errntknght

Reaction score

What am I missing here? Doesn't seem a bit like trolling to me - compared to many posts by armchair GMs its quite sensible, in fact. I wouldn't say I agree but it bears some thought.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, I cant ban anyone, I was posing a question that was not meant to be taken serious, but rather to point out how incredulous I found the post to be.

We should trade both ours for a package like Shved from Minny and Aaron Afflalo from Orlando and go for a championship now.

I just cant take anyone seriously who would suggest something like that. Not only are the Suns screwing themselves in terms of trade value, but that those 2 guys can help us get to a title "now".

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not really trolling but questionable suggestions. :). Trolling would be someone constantly calling Beasley - Sleazy :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have a hard time using the word confidence with anybody in this front office.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05