Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of it was Vogel. He seemed totally resistant to Isaiah even being on the team. Now with Bud all of a sudden we have a plethora of PGs.

It's hard to know because we do not know if Vogel was pushing for another point guard, or he was content with the players the Suns had playing this position. If James Jones had provided him a rotational point guard, we would have a better idea. Adding Isaiah Thomas at this stage in his career was merely window dressing.

I'm glad Bud saw the hole in the roster and plugged it. The Suns still need another big man that can play, but they may be waiting for the right opportunity to add one.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big man? You talking rebounding passing center. Stretch four? What?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big man? You talking rebounding passing center. Stretch four? What?

I don't expect Nurkic and Plumlee to be available every game this coming season, so I'm looking for a player that can back them up.

If the center or power forward can shoot outside, so much the better. It's hard to know who they can acquire.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're better off than we were last year but IMO, we're still rather thin.

Our guards look great, deep, with a variety of skills.

Forwards, we've got KD, O'Neale and a bunch of fringe rotation guys, most with at least one glaring flaw. We're going to end up with some of our "guards" playing a lot of small forward, similar to last year when Allen was the default 3 most nights.

Center is ugly. IMO, Nurk is a below average starter, Plumlee is a Plumlee and Oso is a rookie. Hopefully Bol sees some minutes here.

I don't see how we could have fixed the roster much more than we did, it is just the nature of our situation, but I think Allen or Nurk are likely to get moved in an effort to plug whatever problem is the most glaring later in the season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Forwards, we've got KD, O'Neale and a bunch of fringe rotation guys, most with at least one glaring flaw. We're going to end up with some of our "guards" playing a lot of small forward, similar to last year when Allen was the default 3 most nights.

Center is ugly. IMO, Nurk is a below average starter, Plumlee is a Plumlee and Oso is a rookie. Hopefully Bol sees some minutes here.

I don't see how we could have fixed the roster much more than we did, it is just the nature of our situation, but I think Allen or Nurk are likely to get moved in an effort to plug whatever problem is the most glaring later in the season.
Come on, that Nurk slander is bunk. He was literally smack dab in the center of the center rankings last year. Has the single game rebound record for the Suns as well. Below average starter? LOL, what is an "average starter" at that position? Give me a freaking break.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on, that Nurk slander is bunk. He was literally smack dab in the center of the center rankings last year. Has the single game rebound record for the Suns as well. Below average starter? LOL, what is an "average starter" at that position? Give me a freaking break.

He can’t shoot outside, he also sucks in the post and he is a really poor defender, not good in the pick and roll because he isn’t a threat to shoot or rim run. In the playoffs he was flat out unplayable.

The rebounding is good, passing he’s alright but overall a very limited player who I expect to, again, be useless when it matters.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can’t shoot outside, he also sucks in the post and he is a really poor defender, not good in the pick and roll because he isn’t a threat to shoot or rim run. In the playoffs he was flat out unplayable.

The rebounding is good, passing he’s alright but overall a very limited player who I expect to, again, be useless when it matters.
I think we saw two different versions of Nurkic last season. IMO Prior to Ramadan, he was a slightly above average starting center and from Ramadan on, he was one of the worst starting big men. I have no idea if this is an annual issue with him or if it was a particular problem last year for some other reason. But hopefully we'll get a full year of the guy we saw at the start of the 2023/24 season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where did the term "smack dab" come from? I use it but I don't know why. Oh, sorry. You were saying? My ADHD kicked in there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did the term "smack dab" come from? I use it but I don't know why. Oh, sorry. You were saying? My ADHD kicked in there.
I grew up using the phrase too and also, no idea of it's origin. If I didn't know the phrase though my first guess would have been something connected to the marijuana business.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brings back memories of the old Brylcreem cream commercials, "A little dab'll do ya!"

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I heard on a podcast supposedly Bol Bol was told to work on his strength. Makes you wonder if this is true AND if Bol is taking this serious. He skipped playing in the Olympics. Haven't heard officially why. Could be training for this season, or undisclosed injury? If he could get stronger, and could play center, it could prolong his career. Hoping for the best with Bol, but you could see him get bullied at the center position by the bigger centers.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on a podcast supposedly Bol Bol was told to work on his strength. Makes you wonder if this is true AND if Bol is taking this serious. He skipped playing in the Olympics. Haven't heard officially why. Could be training for this season, or undisclosed injury? If he could get stronger, and could play center, it could prolong his career. Hoping for the best with Bol, but you could see him get bullied at the center position by the bigger centers.
He needs to be on the Michael Phelps 10,000 calories a day diet or whatever it was. 500 grams of protein a day. :oops:

Reaction score
re: Vogel. Since the story from Shams Charania about Frank Vogel's coaching which I just read is 3.5 months old, I suppose everyone but me probably knows of it. It quickly convinced me that part of last season's problem was that Frank Vogel behaved inappropriately as coach, yelling and screaming at his players when they didn't play well. He sounds like Bob Knight without the coaching skill. He possibly should have been fired earlier. Ehh, I'm allowed to post the link, am I not? Isn't it the text that I can't post? https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/54...nix-suns-season-end-frank-vogel-kevin-durant/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
re: Vogel. Since the story from Shams Charania about Frank Vogel's coaching which I just read is 3.5 months old, I suppose everyone but me probably knows of it. It quickly convinced me that part of last season's problem was that Frank Vogel behaved inappropriately as coach, yelling and screaming at his players when they didn't play well. He sounds like Bob Knight without the coaching skill. He possibly should have been fired earlier. Ehh, I'm allowed to post the link, am I not? Isn't it the text that I can't post? https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/54...nix-suns-season-end-frank-vogel-kevin-durant/

He's not Bobby Knight. He's basically the opposite of Bobby Knight. He did try yelling at players once but no one took him seriously because that was the opposite of who he'd been at every other time. Vogel was a nice guy to a fault, as far as personality goes. He was a pushover that didn't command respect and everyone tuned him out.

You can post links. You just can't post entire articles, especially articles behind paywalls. You can share excerpts or links without issue though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are hiring Oronde Taliaferro as the Director Of Scouting.

IMO, this is definitely a move in the right direction. Find and develop those youngsters.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...les-from-another-site-copyright-rules.181072/

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
The Los Angeles Clippers are slated to open their new Intuit Dome for the first regular season game on Oct. 23 hosting the Phoenix Suns, sources tell me and
@LawMurrayTheNU

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When does training camp start? Where will it be. With the Olympics over, it'll be a rough few months here. Our roster is probably solidified until the trade deadline. The schedule is out. Now we wait...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
at the same time I am hearing that Nurkic has lost a lot of weight--looks like as much as 25 pounds--and has working on this three-point shooting all summer.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
at the same time I am hearing that Nurkic has lost a lot of weight--looks like as much as 25 pounds--and has working on this three-point shooting all summer.

I will not get too excited about this.

Nurk's stats show he was a 24% 3pt shooter on 1.2 attempts per game. Waiting for him to drop a 3 every fourth game, eh. I just dont think he will make any dramatic improvement in that area to something like hitting a 3 every third game. 25% to 33% is a huge jump for someone like Nurk.

What I did notice that he started to have more pep in his step later in the season than the start. So maybe he's finally fully health after all his injuries, those take time. And less weight will only help keep stress of his legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat