The 2024-25 NFL league year

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The 49ers have given a lot of players very backloaded their deals with huge signing bonuses to keep the players happy (signing bonuses have an equal cap hit every year over the life of the contract).

Bosa, Kittle, Hargrave, Warner, McCaffery and Aiyuk all have a base salary this year of just over $1 million and each has a cap hit of under 15 mill for this year mostly coming from the bonus. However if you look at the 49ers cap hits for 2026 you start seeing some big numbers, like Bosa having a cap hit of 40 million, Warner 26 million and Williams 37 million. The 49ers have less cap space available in 2026 than they do in 2024 currently, with only 35 players signed. When 2026 comes they can either just cut players or restructure the contract to push the cap hit out further. So the 49ers are technically paying all these players, they just aren't paying them this year.

The Cardinals do not have a lot of cap gymnastics. The guys we are paying, we are paying them this year. To be fair, we haven't drafted a lot of guys worth giving top of the line money. I think only one of the guys the 49ers are paying big money was acquired during free agency (Hargrave), the rest were drafted or traded for.

Yeah some of this is hard to keep up with for the casual fan like myself. Purdy will get paid around what, $60 mil a year starting next year? How can they keep all their talent?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah some of this is hard to keep up with for the casual fan like myself. Purdy will get paid around what, $60 mil a year starting next year? How can they keep all their talent?
They're probably trading Deebo next year. Purdy's new deal will average 60 million a year over the life of the deal, but I bet the cap hit next year will be tiny.

BTW all these cap shenanigans being possible are why I really hated when people thought paying Conner $7 million a year would somehow ruin our cap situation.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but I'm not completely sold on Purdy. I know he's surrounded by talented players, but if I were the 49ers brass, I'd want to see him make the SB again or at least the NFC championship game before I would be willing to lay out $60M.

P.S. Might be wishful thinking of an Az fan.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I betting there were comments and rumors floating around the organization about him, but no concrete proof, this the dating sting operation.
Probably... I'm a dinosaur I know. But I'm a firm believer in eliminating problem employees before they explode

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I betting there were comments and rumors floating around the organization about him, but no concrete proof, this the dating sting operation.
Nah, this guy was setup by an independent organization, Project Veritas. They are basically a tabloid.

Their entire schtick is having their reporters match with corporate higher ups on dating apps, befriend them, pretend to be interested in a relationship, and then once they are on a date, secretly recording the entire conversation. Every now and then, the employee says something that they can use for a juicy story. Its not hard to get someone to say something unprofessional in what's supposed to be an unprofessional setting.

Its a very predatory, slimy form of journalism.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Nah, this guy was setup by an independent organization, Project Veritas. They are basically a tabloid.

Their entire schtick is having their reporters match with corporate higher ups on dating apps, befriend them, pretend to be interested in a relationship, and then once they are on a date, secretly recording the entire conversation. Every now and then, the employee says something that they can use for a juicy story. Its not hard to get someone to say something unprofessional in what's supposed to be an unprofessional setting.

Its a very predatory, slimy form of journalism.
Why you should always wait until after the 3rd date to say disparaging remarks.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JMO, but I'm not completely sold on Purdy. I know he's surrounded by talented players, but if I were the 49ers brass, I'd want to see him make the SB again or at least the NFC championship game before I would be willing to lay out $60M.

P.S. Might be wishful thinking of an Az fan.
Unfortunately I think they found their QB of the future. I've been waiting for him to show that it was all fools gold but were 2 years in and he's still proving me wrong. They have to pay him even if they don't really want to.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
·
2m

Now official: The Bengals and WR Ja’Marr Chase are not expected to reach a contract extension before today’s regular-season opener, per sources. It remains unclear if Chase will play today. Actives/Inactives in 30 minutes.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
good lord just when you think he can't get any dumber. and it's not old age. he's just dumb period. he's been that way since Jimmy Johnson left the bldg. he takes 1 baby step forward and three giant leaps backwards every year (mentally).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Tyreek Hill wad cited for reckless driving after being pulled over for speeding, per @JeffDarlington. Hill and a police officer had a verbal altercation that led to the receiver being put in handcuffs. Hill’s agent Drew Rosenhaus said his client will play today.
he's got some dallas cowboy blood in him.