Leinart is not our QBOF

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW. I didn't think this guy was serious until I read the post. I agree with you guys. I am speechless to how off the hinge this post is on so many levels. Most of you have said it all.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
but I'm not going to say that it has nothing to do with Travis Henry suddenly looking like the 2002 version of himself.

One telling play today in the Titans game. Hand off to Tenn RB and the Colts DT is unblocked but hesitates to check what Young is doing just long enough for the RB to get by him (the DT).

Guys like Vick and Young do that to defenses.

EDIT: 5 wins in last 7 games with two consecutive miracle wins over Giants and Colts.
Vince Young just has some sort of magic touch.

Last edited:

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Back to Leinart, on the TD to Fitz today, it was an absolutely perfect throw into that space. Just a brilliant play call as well to put both Fitz and Boldin on the same side of the field and have them run crossing routes. Leinart made a great read and a perfect throw.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't like Leinart's complete inability to go through his progressions on pass plays. He locks on to his first choice and that's it. I also don't like his lack of accuracy (IMO the most important QB skill).

The last two games, our offensive line has settled in and played well and the play calling has been more diverse. We aren't scoring much because of Leinart.

If I was King and had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Troy Smith or Brady Quinn and trade Leinart away.

I don't like Brohm.

Troy Smith is the most underrated QB in football. He's the same size as Drew Brees and just as smart but much faster. He rarely makes a mistake and makes big play after big play any time Ohio State needs one. He has touch on the short passes and is accurate on long bombs. He's also content to just hand off if that's the game plan.

Brady Quinn has carried a very average Notre Dame team to 9-3 and 10-1 records. He's tough as nails, rarely makes a mistake and runs Charlie Weis' 750 page playbook. He has no run game, no speed receiver and a lousy offensive line making him the 94th most sacked QB in football. His game and clock management are superb. He's good at sidestepping a rush but he's not a runner. He's big at 6'4" and 225 pounds.

My guess is Troy Smith will win the Heisman but fall through to round 2 because Ohio State has so many pro prospects that Troy will not be given credit for being the superb leader he is. In round 2, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

We must be looking at two different players. I am generally the skeptic. Leinhart to me looks like anything better than I have seen in a Big Red uniform in decades. Looks like he has been in the league for 3 years, accurate, and can make any pass he needs to. In todays game he made his looks and progressed across the field it seemed to me. At this point there is no one in the draft I would trade him for.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We must be looking at two different players. I am generally the skeptic. Leinhart to me looks like anything better than I have seen in a Big Red uniform in decades. Looks like he has been in the league for 3 years, accurate, and can make any pass he needs to. In todays game he made his looks and progressed across the field it seemed to me. At this point there is no one in the draft I would trade him for.

I agree John

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Leinart asked me to marry him in Canada, my answer would be YES!!!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Back to Leinart, on the TD to Fitz today, it was an absolutely perfect throw into that space. Just a brilliant play call as well to put both Fitz and Boldin on the same side of the field and have them run crossing routes. Leinart made a great read and a perfect throw.

There was no room for error on that throw and he put it there with zip.... totally owned the DB on that play

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still can't help but laugh at how ridiculious the title of this thread is.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, but watching this kid makes me happy that we have an awesome talent behind center for the next several years.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Leinart's complete inability to go through his progressions on pass plays. He locks on to his first choice and that's it. I also don't like his lack of accuracy (IMO the most important QB skill).

The last two games, our offensive line has settled in and played well and the play calling has been more diverse. We aren't scoring much because of Leinart.

If I was King and had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Troy Smith or Brady Quinn and trade Leinart away.

I just had a chance to read this thread and, quite candidly, Skkorp - you are either a complete dufus or you are trying to distract us from all the negativity around here.

:D

The Shark

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
:shrug:

I don't know. He's not completing 50% of his passes, and he has a 63.9 QB rating. I think that it's still too early to start thinking about Vince Young. The Titans only go as far as their runningbacks can carry them right now, and I think that's what separates Leinart from Young and Cutler.

Looking at Young purely as a QB I agree. But Young has shown "it" - it being the intangibles that got him drafted #3.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Looking at Young purely as a QB I agree. But Young has shown "it" - it being the intangibles that got him drafted #3.

Yup. But I want him to fail on Sunday against the Texans. Nothing against VY, but I can't stand listening to the UT drones blathering on about him as the next Johnny U on talk radio.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Hey we got-

Yup. But I want him to fail on Sunday against the Texans. Nothing against VY, but I can't stand listening to the UT drones blathering on about him as the next Johnny U on talk radio.

Nothing but a love fest for Leinart from Summeral and Baldinger in the Rams game!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Young is doing the same thing that Jake Plummer did when he played his first games here. He has some exciting come from behind victories but it was his poor play in the early parts of the game that caused them to get behind in the first place.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I really don't think that you draft for "intangibles" at #3 overall; the Titans are going to be looking for someone that's going to do more than come up with a surprising win once in a while very soon. Actually, Jason Whitlock, of all people, puts my thoughts into words better than I might have:

Jason Whitlock said:
8. Vince Young is having a far better rookie season than I anticipated. But I’m not ready to hail him as the league’s next big thing.

What I must admit is that Young has far more "presence" than I expected. He carries himself like a confident leader. He has a nice chip on his shoulder. He never looks rattled, confused or frustrated. He’s patient and mature enough to take what the defense gives him.

When Young entered the NFL I was concerned about the hard-to-define intangibles that make a quarterback a winner. He clearly has the intangibles. His awkward throwing motion is going to be the issue that determines how high he’ll ascend.

Matt Leinart vs. Vince Young?

My money is still on Leinart. But I’m not raising the stakes.

The New York Giants were a team three weeks ago that was (and to a great extent still is) devestated by injury. The Titans put up over 200 rushing yards on the Colts, including 93 yards by Henry and another 35 by LenDale White (on 4 carries!). But Young's getting all the credit?

Young's been better than expected so far in his young career, but I'm not ready to say he's the real deal yet.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Young is making plays with his feet too, that can't be completely discounted unless you do the same thing when looking at Vick.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Young but I get to see Young a lot since I live in TN and he is doing fairly well and while his completion % stinks he isn't making a ton of mistakes and seems to be making throws when his team really needs him to.

I think you DO that with Vick, but not yet with Young. With Vick, it's apparent he cannot be a real QB. With Young, he's able to keep his team in games with his feet while developing as a young QB. If he can develop the passing game to go along with it, he'll be a McNabb type, only still scrambling. We shall see.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far, I like what I've seen.

Unlike Young and Romo (and Roethlisberger and Palmer before them) Leinart hasn't wowed us a lot with his heroics.

But what he has done is manage the game well and execute what he's been asked to do in a businesslike way. (He also survived a couple of "speed-bump" games and came out of them a better QB).

He's not quite there yet, but when he's fully mastered the offense so that everything becomes second nature, the big plays will start to come.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think that you draft for "intangibles" at #3 overall; the Titans are going to be looking for someone that's going to do more than come up with a surprising win once in a while very soon. Actually, Jason Whitlock, of all people, puts my thoughts into words better than I might have:

The New York Giants were a team three weeks ago that was (and to a great extent still is) devestated by injury. The Titans put up over 200 rushing yards on the Colts, including 93 yards by Henry and another 35 by LenDale White (on 4 carries!). But Young's getting all the credit?

Young's been better than expected so far in his young career, but I'm not ready to say he's the real deal yet.

I'd take Matt in a heartbeat but I don't think it's coincidence that the Titans run game is taking off with young at QB. He's so good at running, that it forces defenses to assign a player to him which means one less player to defend the rest of the team. He's averaging 6 YPC, not exactly Vick like but that's too good for teams NOT to have to account for and it makes Henry a better player.

Even on obvious run downs teams have to worry is he really going to hand the ball off, or keep it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've probably drinking WAY too much of the #7 Kool-Aid. But, aside from Brady and Peyton, I wouldn't take any QB ahead of Leinart.

I wouldn't want Young in Arizona either. Wouldn't want to see his career ruined by this cursed franchise.

:D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I wouldn't take Young over Leinart either. Leinart is a much better fit than Young - for us and most other teams.

And I also agree with Whitlock.

What I meant was, that I don't think Young is ever going to be a great convensional QB. But that doesn't mean he can't be a great QB. I don't think it was a coincidence that he got drafted by the Titans, because I see him as a new McNair. Strong arm, great leader and a dangerous runner.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood you, but I wouldn't take Young over Leinart either. Leinart is a much better fit than Young - for us and most other teams.

And I also agree with Whitlock.

What I meant was, that I don't think Young is ever going to be a great convensional QB. But that doesn't mean he can't be a great QB. I don't think it was a coincidence that he got drafted by the Titans, because I see him as a new McNair. Strong arm, great leader and a dangerous runner.

Good analysis. You draft guys at #3 overall to win. Looks like that's what the Titans have done. As for K9s occassional surprise win comment, last week was the 5th surprise in the last 7 games.

I really like how people say that Young was surrounded by all that great NFL talent at Texas and that's why he won and then in the same breath saying that Texas guys aren't great NFL players.

But that's fairly common on internet football boards. No matter what player you talk about somebody will say that player is only good because of who is playing next to him.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Well, that was an interesting read.

Sounds like Leinart had a much better offense to work with than the current team. He was never the same after coming back from the collarbone injury and the Whisenhunt regime put the nail in his coffin by dubbing him 'mentally weak.'

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05