Suns Training Camp, October 1st through 4th, 2024

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Plumlee and Nurk are vastly different. Plumlee would have been solid in Vogel's schemes because he's an athletic big that plays within 10 feet of the basket. He's like a poor man's JaVale McGee. That isn't Nurk, never has been. While I like Plumlee as a backup here he's an odd fit for Coach Bud's offense. Nurk is a poor man's Jokic, can pass and play the post while being a beast on the boards but that's about it.

Frank is more of a Bud style Center and does play more like Nurk on offense but he's a bad screen setter and afraid of hard contact and getting physical. That's not Nurk or Plumlee.

The 3 Centers we have are quite different though so really don't understand how you are getting the idea we brought in backups who play the same as Nurk.
I was just talking Nurk and Plumlee. Frank is not officially on our roster yet. Plumlee is an underrated passer from the center position like Nurkic. There have been lots of comparisons online about how the two centers are similar. I just heard it this week on the Locked on Suns Podcast. Anyway, we can argue styles. The basic point is Plumlee is an upgrade over Eubanks.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
LOL! I used to put chairs in the corners of the court to keep my guys from getting doubled by dribbling into the corners of the court. Games would start and first thing they would do is dribble into the corner and get doubled! LMAO!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure opposing teams will welcome that. Nurk and 3’s sound better in theory than in reality.

Nurkic hasn't shot a lot of threes in his career. As long as he can hit enough to keep defenses honest, it might work. I'm not counting on it until I see it.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think we have the same problem as last year. Too many guards with weak defense, and not enough size and athleticism up front. A PG should obviously help, but I don't see us anything other than a 1st round exit. It's fine. I will watch the games and hope for the best.

Go Suns!

On a more positive note, I'm optimistic over our rookies. Hope they get some PT.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have the same problem as last year. Too many guards with weak defense, and not enough size and athleticism up front. A PG should obviously help, but I don't see us anything other than a 1st round exit. It's fine. I will watch the games and hope for the best.

Go Suns!

On a more positive note, I'm optimistic over our rookies. Hope they get some PT.

I hope and pray that they're more enjoyable to watch. I don't know how they can be worse in that regard but I want to see that they care as much about the outcome of games as I do. Last season it didn't look that way, more often than not. There was almost no pride or joy their performance most of the season. There was a lot of arrogance early on but after getting smacked around a few times by teams like the Spurs that seemed to get replaced by an apathetic sort of demeanor.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope and pray that they're more enjoyable to watch. I don't know how they can be worse in that regard but I want to see that they care as much about the outcome of games as I do. Last season it didn't look that way, more often than not. There was almost no pride or joy their performance most of the season. There was a lot of arrogance early on but after getting smacked around a few times by teams like the Spurs that seemed to get replaced by an apathetic sort of demeanor.
Totally agree.

That team last year was broken in many ways. Since it's 85% the same team I am skeptical it will be much different but hopefully I am wrong.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree.

That team last year was broken in many ways. Since it's 85% the same team I am skeptical it will be much different but hopefully I am wrong.

Hopefully the new point guard additions, Tyus Jones and Monte Morris, will stir the pot.

I'm thinking the Suns will push the ball on offense, spread the court and find open 3-point shooters. The Suns were an isolation team last season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hopefully the new point guard additions, Tyus Jones and Monte Morris, will stir the pot.

I'm thinking the Suns will push the ball on offense, spread the court and find open 3-point shooters. The Suns were an isolation team last season.
That's what coach Bud says.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are prepared to hit the ground running.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope KD is ready to run. Booker is young and has proven his willingness to play in many different styles so I don't see him holding up the offense. Beal played quick in Washington but I'm not sure how his body will hold up running a lot, again. Durant is the question mark though as he's 36+ years old with a lot of miles on his legs. He's been more of an ISO player than anyone else. Time will tell. I believe Bud will get on his case if he is holding back the system but whether he has support from the front office to do so is another question mark.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope KD is ready to run. Booker is young and has proven his willingness to play in many different styles so I don't see him holding up the offense. Beal played quick in Washington but I'm not sure how his body will hold up running a lot, again. Durant is the question mark though as he's 36+ years old with a lot of miles on his legs. He's been more of an ISO player than anyone else. Time will tell. I believe Bud will get on his case if he is holding back the system but whether he has support from the front office to do so is another question mark.
Seven seconds or less, anyone?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seven seconds or less, anyone?

I already said it once; do not expect Durant to change his play style. I think he will be good at attacking in transition, in the open court, he's always been very good at that, however, when he gets the ball and a defender in on him, he is going to look to slow it down, try to beat the guy one on one and do his usual midrange ISO routine. He said as much today:

I do think we have potential to be an elite offense, but I also expect we will see a lot of Durant not sticking to the system and similar amount of plays where he passes up easy shots in favor of dribbling his way into a very difficult midrange shot.

He's a great player and it's just who he is.

Also, Bud would be best served to NOT get on Durant's case. He's made it quite clear that he is adverse to criticism.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already said it once; do not expect Durant to change his play style. I think he will be good at attacking in transition, in the open court, he's always been very good at that, however, when he gets the ball and a defender in on him, he is going to look to slow it down, try to beat the guy one on one and do his usual midrange ISO routine. He said as much today:

I do think we have potential to be an elite offense, but I also expect we will see a lot of Durant not sticking to the system and similar amount of plays where he passes up easy shots in favor of dribbling his way into a very difficult midrange shot.

He's a great player and it's just who he is.

Also, Bud would be best served to NOT get on Durant's case. He's made it quite clear that he is adverse to criticism.
I get what you’re saying but that’s not conducive to having the best team possible. Durant needs to buy in to the coaches vision just like everybody else. Can’t just let one guy do whatever he wants.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but that’s not conducive to having the best team possible. Durant needs to buy in to the coaches vision just like everybody else. Can’t just let one guy do whatever he wants.

I agree, 100%.

I just don't think it will play out that way.

Durant wasn't willing to ditch his slow playing, isolation instincts on the Warriors, even after Draymond tried to fight him over it... he isn't going to do it here.

Hopefully he plays within the offense more often than not, but I have no doubt that we will see several possessions per game where the ball swings to him and he hunches over and tries to break down the defense off the dribble and pulls up for a long, contested, 2 pointer, even if he was open from 3 when he got the ball.

It is who he is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way anyone can add 40lb of muscle in a single offseason. These are professional athletes who are already built pretty well. Even a novice can only hope for 3-4 per month. If he has really added 40lb, 30lb of that is fat. My guess is that his listed weight was lower than his actual weight, and he is rounding up when he says he is up to 230 now. Even if he was actually 200LB and is 225 now, that's still concerning. At best, that 15lb of fat. He's gonna be moving like Luka on defense out there at that weight.
I am guessing that his weight listing has not changed since he got into the league. And the changes in muscle mass that can happen in the 20-25 year old range are astounding as a boys body changes to a man’s.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My feeling is as long as KD is on the team we are going to remain mostly an isolation team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am guessing that his weight listing has not changed since he got into the league. And the changes in muscle mass that can happen in the 20-25 year old range are astounding as a boys body changes to a man’s.
In another thread he said he played over 200+ pounds last year, and the indication was the new weight was more like 5-10 pounds. That's much more reasonable for muscle gain in the time indicated. Sometimes being more chilled gives the eye a more "yoked" looking appearance. I know when I cut down after building muscle, most people would comment I looked like I had gained a lot of weight. I would say I was actually lighter, and they would say BS. It's literally how your muscle looks.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, no way was he at 190 pounds last year.

Last edited:

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread he said he played over 200+ pounds last year, and the indication was the new weight was more like 5-10 pounds. That's much more reasonable for muscle gain in the time indicated. Sometimes being more chilled gives the eye a more "yoked" looking appearance. I know when I cut down after building muscle, most people would comment I looked like I had gained a lot of weight. I would say I was actually lighter, and they would say BS. It's literally how your muscle looks.
Interesting. I've been working out consistently for the last 2.5 years, for the first time in my life, while cutting. I'm finally within 8 pounds of my goal which will put my ectomorph body at only 144 pounds. (I weighed over 200 pounds for much of my adult life and as high as 218.) It will be interesting to see if I get similar reactions or not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake