OFFICIAL Boldin Trade/Resign/Discussion thread

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read Kent Somers' blog. He is usually very careful and reserved. This time he gives the full negotiation timeline and rips Boldin up. Says the team needs him gone. Don't apply my filter; go track it down and apply your own filter.

As to whether I care if Boldin comes back, I don't. If he wants to leave, it's better for all if he does. I've always felt that way about all players. No person who dislikes his or her job ever makes the workplace better, invariably making it worse than it should be.

Good take Jim. I agree.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Not anymore a majority of them dont. At least a majority on this board.

I think most of us love Q as a player, but we hate his agent and hate creating negative publicity. I think if Q says nothing at all about his contract or the FO over the past 2 years he would be closer to a new contract than he is now by whining this whole time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Point is Im not overstating. You just proved my point yet again. Thx.

Wasn't that long ago there were several here who were bashing the NFL's most exciting Offensive player, all time "single post season receiving yards" record holder, and MVP of the Pro Bowl.

I like the fire Rod Graves idea instead of losing Q. Graves is an ok guy but he's too slow to play the slot receiver.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I havent commented on this since during training camp but a couple of observations:

1. Q feels hurt b/c of the money they gave Fitz w/o even trying to negotiate a deal with him.

2. There is no "No turning back point". As much as I admire Q and thinks he is a straight shooter, there has never been a time during all this that I felt this relationship couldnt be mended. - Until Now (see point 3)

3. I firmly believe that the FO will try to work out a contract with Q over the next several months. Problem is, if this becomes another "he said, he said" event and gets played out in the media again, I think the damage could be severe to the point of ending the relationship.

My point is that even though Q has spewed off at the mouth a few times no real damage has been done and the FO hasnt even really responded to him (at leats int he media). But if this is another drag out contract negotiation in the press, I believe the FO will HAVE to trade him.

See, things are different now. Coming off a Super Bowl appearance, 5 members of the team in the Pro Bowl etc and the momentum carrying into next year will be, at least partly, how this team handles Q. Remember, we arent just talking about wins and losses or momentum on the field, but season ticket holders, luxury suites, merchandising: All that has and will take a big bump for next year if the FO handles this correctly. If the FO and ownership truly want to compete year in and year out (which I believe they do) then handling this situation with Q is probably priority #1. They do not want to go into, what should be a turning point in this organizations history, with a black eye and a media circus around Q. If that begins to happen, look for the FO to trade Q sooner rather than later.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
he didn't help himself by his uninspired play in the pb, either.

I wondered if anyone saw this. Q is a great receiver but Fitz is a super star. Even in a game that did not matter Fritz stood head and shoulders over Q.

One thing that stands out is how the players are positioning themselves in regards to coming back. Warner stating it would make his decision a lot easier if he knew Q was coming back.

The question is how much would it take to keep Q. He is definately not worth as much as Fritz, but would his ego let him stay if he 's not paid at the same level?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i've said all along that it's a win-win situation for the Cards. They either re-sign him and everyone is happy or they trade him for a bunch of picks and the team is probably a better overall team beacuse of it. Personally, i would trade him but it's not like it's a bad thing to keep him either.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I never like when a player bashes the organization or demands a trade. I've always been that way, Aeneas Williams was my favorite players until he said he wanted to be traded and wouldn't sign with the Cards...ditto with Larry Centers when we were forced to franchise him because he didn't want to be a Cardinal anymore. The team is more important to me than any individual player.

If Boldin does end up staying with the team great but the damage is done, I'll cheer for him because of the uniform he wears and because he can help our team win but he'll never be one of my favorite players.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Not anymore a majority of them dont. At least a majority on this board.

I think it's just human nature Shane. Everyone is just trying to soften the blow if he does leave. Believe you/me when next season starts and he is lined up opposite LF, the fans will be chanting his name.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I saw the interview. Drew Rosenhaus was in Honolulu and obviously got to Q. So, he is being a lot smarter and more nuanced about it now. Before he was losing the public relations battle with some foolish statements. Now he has placed the onus back on Rod Graves and the front office IMO. That's much smarter from his standpoint. You always want the agent to be the 'bad guy.' Sort of good cop, bad cop. Those got get paid a lot of money to play that role.
-----------------------------------------

The Cardinals have plenty of cash and salary cap space, so their excuses from seasons past are now gone. So step up and PAY THE MAN! (But as Arthur Raccoon sez, just not TOO much.)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I saw the interview. Drew Rosenhaus was in Honolulu and obviously got to Q. So, he is being a lot smarter and more nuanced about it now. Before he was losing the public relations battle with some foolish statements. Now he has placed the onus back on Rod Graves and the front office IMO. That's much smarter from his standpoint. You always want the agent to be the 'bad guy.' Sort of good cop, bad cop. Those got get paid a lot of money to play that role./QUOTE]

Agreed, I said to my wife yesterday if Q really wanted a trade then why is he out lowering his trade value. By spew hate towrds the org. other teams will feel that they can get him on the cheap, like we have to trade him. If he really wants a trade he should keep his trap shut and deal with the Cards directly.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Anquan and Kurt returns contingent?

It may be a package deal according to an AP story in the Republic...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/02/08/20090208warnerprobowl-ON.html

There's one person that could be the deciding factor.

"If Anquan (Boldin) tells me he's coming back, that will make my decision easier," he said.

And Boldin absolutely wants to see Warner in a Cards uniform next year.

"You definitely want to see a guy like him come back because I feel like he's got a lot left in the tank," Boldin said.

"He's a guy that's playing at the top of his career. He's playing lights out, so you definitely want a guy like that to return."

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If this is how they are going to be they can both go IMO. Both of these guys are not acting like leaders. Warner bitched and moaned about getting the starting job he got it and it's still not enough? I love Q as much as the next guy, but for KW to put this quasi demand on the Cards is stupid. You want a package deal KW? Fine Q to OAK for their first two picks then KW can go sign there. This is really starting to piss me off. You have guys like BB willing to restructure deals to stay and finish what he started and at the other spectrum you have Q who blasts this front office every chance he gets and a QB who has been threatening this team with retirements since week 4. Way to repay an organization after they took care of you and been loyal to you KW.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Warner can help keep Boldin here that is fine with me. I much rather have both Warner and Boldin with the Cards than without them.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Kurt just might be the catalyst to getting things "smoothed over" between Q and the FO. AND, Kurt and Q coming back would be a huge step toward a Superbowl run again.....

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Kurt just might be the catalyst to getting things "smoothed over" between Q and the FO. AND, Kurt and Q coming back would be a huge step toward a Superbowl run again.....

I think you may be right. Warner didn't demand a package deal he just said that Q coming back would make his decision easier. Wouldn't it make yours easier? If you were a pass happy QB to have two, could be three, of the best receivers in football to throw too?

Kurt could be making it easier for Q to if not mend fences, at least call a truce with the FO. Nothing either player said during the game interviews lead me to believe that they are being divas and maybe Warner is being a leader by passing out a little of that respect that Boldin was looking for.

Hey Q, Larry's right you won't look near as good in another uniform. :)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The question was posed to John Clayton. "What will it take for KW to reutrn in 2009?" His reply "2 years 18 Mil." Much ado about nothing here, IMO he was just help Q's case. If Q really wanted out of AZ he wouldn't be out bring down his trade value.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KW won't make his "decision" until the FO deals with Q. That's my opinion, and based on Q's comments of the next two weeks being important, and KW saying he wanted a couple of weeks to think on it, it's a nice little pressure point for KW to add in there.

IF Q returns, I think KW does as well. The cards will be stacked in his favor (no pun intended). If Q goes, I think it might make it a little more difficult for KW...losing a huge WR option, and an OC you love is tough...but number 11 is still a ridiculous toy for Kurt to close his career out with.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid ESPNEWS made multiple references to Boldin being a free agent. Idiots!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

The solution to all our offensive problems is for Warner to play QB/OC/GM.

You must be registered for see images attach

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Whatever Kurt and whatever Q.

I'd sign em both then trade em to Detroit if that was possible, it's funny to just think about their faces for a second, after that they'd of course just whine, cry and probably get out of it but it's still funny to think about.

seesred

Reaction score
In an interview at the pro bowl, Q was asked if he could mend the fences. He said words to this effect, I like my teamates, I like the city, I'm not happy with the front office. He continued I'm not sure what I will do, BUT I WILL LISTEN. I think for the right money, and pal Larry and Kurt standing by this man, a deal will get done.

GBR

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
the fo doesnt have to do anything with q this year; hes making near on 3.5 mill, which is about 4.5 too low to me, but HE negotiated it.. i don't feel the rush from the front office the rest of you do; what's q going to do, sit? i have little confidence in graves, so unless whizz pushes something through, we could be in store for an ugly spring on the boldin front. pray i hope not!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05